AVI on Windows Media player?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Temporal, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

It's seems that my windows media player (v8 I think) only plays AVI files ... sometimes. And sometimes it just plays the sound. Are there different types of AVI that I am not aware of. and how can I fix it to make it play AVI all the time? A link to dl some codecs might help... I dunno
    ~Temporal~

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

have you tried to update WMP8? I dont like it anyway! I use Videolan.org it can play anything :) well so far it has :)

3. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Yeah, now me too. (no likeing Windows media player) Yeah, I gave up on trying to play it on windows Media Player, and I just downloaded DivX. Works now, but thanks anyways..
    ~Temporal~

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, that's the kicker. If it's been encoded as a DivX (there's also XviD to watch out for), that can hose your chances of using an AVI file. Media player's fine. You have to get separate plugins for it sometimes because Microsoft doesn't own the source code for DivX and others.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Lots and Lotsa Codecs

I too hate the newer Media Player builds, which is why I use Media Player Classic, a hacked & improved version of trusty old Media Player 6.4. Tiny memory footprint, improved functionality and even support for DVD, Real and QuickTime video makes this player my favorite and only player. You can get it in the “QuickTime Alternative” and “Real Alternative” installation files along with all the codecs you could want in the “Kazaa Lite Codec Pack” from www.kazaalite.tk. Warning though; since you're using WMP8 you’re apparently an XP user, so know in advance that installing the Kazaa Lite codecs will break Microsoft Movie Maker. When I ran XP, I never used it anyway, but I thought it fair to let you know.

6. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Wow, thanks... That kazaa codec pack is just what I have been looking for for a while... Heh movie maker, I didn't think anybody actually used that. Am I wrong? Lol Thanks anti-trend (and big b and sniper of course).
    ~Temporal~

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hey, no problem mon. :) Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. They are constantly updating it too, so you might wanna check for new versions periodically.