Back with more Linux quesitons!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by thomas234, May 22, 2008.

1. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Hi again! Sorry to keep asking so many questions but I've searched high and low for answers and not found things.

1) Compiz Fusion. I have it enabled again at the moment, because I like the 3D cube, the rest I'm not bothered about. However, when it is enabled, some parts of the screen don't appear correctly. A commonly occouring one is KMix, Mandriva Control Centre Splash, right clicking an icon on the desktop. Sometimes they appear as gray boxes, other times just transparent. Also, some windows don't update themselves as you press something, so it appears that you haven't pressed it. All these problems stop when 3d effects are disabled.
    Edit: Solved!! Solution was on Compiz FAQ.

2) KDE4. I installed KDE4 to try it out, and I don't like it! I'm quite happy with 3.5 for the time being. However, in the process of installing it I have managed to change my menu to what can best be described as similar to the Vista one, whereas I liked the Windows 95/98/2000 style one. Is there any way I can go back to the old menu? I'd like to keep KDE4 installed if possible to mess around with in the future, but I suppose it can be re-installed.
    Edit: I re-installed because it was really annoying me!!

3) My wireless network disconnects randomly sometimes, and the PC has to be rebooted before it will reconnect. It doesn't happen often, just wondering if it's a common problem (I haven't found anything on tinterweb). Also, it doesn't start upon boot.

4) The clock moves an hour forward each time I boot up? Is this Linux or a dodgy CMOS battery?

5) Is there a way to get rid of the Klipper, Screen resize and rotate, Bluetooth (I don't have bluetooth) icons at the bottom right next to the clock. Taskbar space is limited as it is!

Thanks for your help!

Thomas