Basic Tutorial - Swirly Vortex

Discussion in 'Graphics Design' started by Waffle, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Right, forget about paint, that makes things harder, lol.

When you started the tutorial, did you make it the same size as I guided? 400x400?

If so, then don't worry about uploading it here, it's fine for now - we can always remove it if necessary!

Personally I would go to www.imageshack.us and hit Upload. Then find the JPG, upload it. Then you will be given a lot of code - like [​IMG]. You can either copy this code and then paste it in to a new post, or you can select the http: version and post the link so we can go to the site.

You can also reply "Go Advanced", and hit Manage Attachments, and attach it that way.

2. RA

RA Geek Trainee

http://img126.exs.cx/img126/4039/BasicTut-1PCtif.jpg

Yes, 400x400

This is from the PC. I assume I can go through "imageshack" on the Mac? I'll try.

To delete the files on the Mac, I dbl.click the HD icon, type in the name of the file in the upper right hand corner, then it appears in the right hand colume, then I drag it to the trash can.

How will it show at your end?

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Yes, so long as your Mac has internet access, imageshack will work.

By clicking on the link we can see the image, looks fine!

If you still have the layers intact and you saved the file as a *psd, you can go back and edit the file again. Try colouring the other layer, which is grey in the current one.

Just experiment with different filters and stuff. Post what you come up with!

4. RA

RA Geek Trainee

This is on the Mac. After going to imageshack, I scroll down to the bottom, and select the http: URL of the Basic Tut-2.jpg, then right click and click Copy. When I right click and try to Paste in the Forums thread, I get a message: Internet Explorer Help, with a bunch of stuff that I don't see any connection to! How do I Paste on this @#$%! computer?

I'm going to the Bathroom, then have a little lunch. Be back in a bit. :(

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

ok no right click as on a mac.

Click the "Copy" button, and it will copy automatically.

Then go to a new post, and click along the top "edit, paste".

You can also use Command and V to paste.

6. RA

RA Geek Trainee

You lost me! At the bottom of imageshack it says: "Here is a direct link to your image". Below that, is the Copy URL, then the http:// address. Is this where I click Copy? I've clicked it and then gone to the Basic Tutorial thread, but nothing happens.

I also can't find any "Edit, Paste" along the top of a New Post. Are you talking about the very top of the Explorer screen, where it says File, Edit, View, etc.? That Edit has a selected Paste in it, I clicked it, but nothing happened in the thread I'm typing in. :(

Now these threads seem to be ass backwards. The beginning thread is at the bottom, and this one is at the top? How did they get reversed, or am I nuts?

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

You must have accidentally changed the order of the thread hierachy, ask Sniper or somebody how to change it back to normal because I can't remember.

Go to the link of the image, and then get some paper and write down the url.

Then open up HF in the a new window and reply to this thread, and type in the link.

And yeah - I meant the Edit along the top of Internet Explorer.

8. RA

RA Geek Trainee

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Congrats dude!

Was this on the emac?

Right - now try the other tutorial!

10. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

looks good RA :)

go to [link=http://www.hardwareforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions]options[/link] and select "Linear - Oldest First" from the thread display mode section.

11. RA

RA Geek Trainee

No. My Mac is a Super Combo G4 Tower, dual processers, 768 RAM. I barely know how to use it. Calling AppleCare Support is a hassel, because I have severe hearing loss in both ears, and can't understand what these guys, with there "accents", are saying, and they don't have any email!
    I can read much better than I can hear. Needless to say, your guidance and patience is greatly appreciated!

12. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Super Combo G4 Tower, dual processers, 768 RAM

grr...I want one, lol.

Needless to say, your guidance and patience is greatly appreciated!

No problem at all!

13. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Hi Sniper! I finally found "Linear - Oldest First". Thanks for the info!

14. RA

RA Geek Trainee

Waffel! Try what other tutorial? I'm hep!

I also need to do what you suggested about playing around with the layers. I don't have a "handle" on that at all.

Under Colorize, there is Preview. How do you "Preview"?

15. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

The Preview is there so that you can see what colour you image will be before you hit ok. You can untick the box if you know what colours you are using, by typing in the number, but 99% of people will have it ticked.

With messing around with layers, I mean like if you duplicate one of the layers and then flip it, colour it and then do Filter>>Distort>>Wave, you can create some really interesting effects, like the Vortex I created at the top.

The other tutorial is the "Joy of Lens Flares". It shouldn't be called that though - I decided to do another tutorial half way through but the name didn't change...

16. RA

RA Geek Trainee

How do I go about finding this "other" tutorial?

17. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

18. RA

RA Geek Trainee

http://img30.exs.cx/img30/745/BT-2.jpg

Hi Waffle! Here's the "Lens Flares" turorial. The tutorial was a piece of cake! Sending it was a problem, but I learned a lot. And on the Mac too! Whew! :)

Okay, now what? :confused:

19. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Nice!

Well, you could make yourself a signature for the forums, or try experimenting with PS and write your own tutorials.

Also, try expanding on both of your finished images - duplicate the layer, change the blending, add colours, gradients....

20. RA

RA Geek Trainee

"Make" a signature for the forums sounds great, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Got a tutorial?

Lens Flares really wasn't a piece of cake, it was your instructions that got the job done, and I thank you!