Best LGA775 cooler?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by mut, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mut

mut Geek Trainee

I've just fitted a new PSU into my system and it's now working very stable, and I am able to overclock my CPU (Pentium D 805 2.66GHz) to 4.00GHz. When idle, the temperature is around 51*C, when both cores are at 100% load the CPU gets to 68*C or so and then crashes (PC Mark is the only application I've used which actually gets both cores to 100% usage, but I want stability).

To get the temperature down, I want to buy a new a new CPU cooler (heatsink + fan as I can't really afford to splash out on water cooling). I'm currently on the stock intel cooler - which hasn't done badly, I expected worse from it.
    I would like to be able to run at 4.00GHz with the temperature below 45* when idle, ideally. Will this be possible from a heatsink + fan?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The Arctic Freezer Pro is supposed to be pretty good, as well as the Scythe Ninja. Just make sure you have plenty of clearance as these things are beasts.

3. mut

mut Geek Trainee

I'll have a look into them.

[​IMG]
    This is an image Asus's AI Booster program, tells you temperature, fsb, etc.
    I've got the CPU at low 50s idle, but this is too high really.

4. mut

mut Geek Trainee

I've ordered a Titan Vanessa-L for £30 (inc. VAT & Shipping)

Will this be able to cope with my processor at 4.00GHz do you think? It idles in low 50s at this clockspeed and can get into the 60s when running a game (stock cooling).

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's still awfully warm for a CPU. I know the 805's run pretty hot to start with, but from what I've found, the Type-L should do a little better, so you might want to check the mounting.

6. dmbjohn

dmbjohn Geek Trainee

I have Scythe Ninja in mine it is p4 chip 2.66 clocked to 2.94 only but the temp stays stedy at 109*F I proably could go higher but my ram is nto the best and neither is the motherboard so i wont pus it too much but all in all i have been really happy with the Scythe at some point here i will put new thermal paste on it then possiably i will go higher with the clock, i just have the stuff it came with on now what ever it may be they send with it ha for all i know its cake frosting.