Boards Supporting Quad-Core

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

They're not available yet, but even so, Anandtech has a list of motherboards and what BIOS will work with the upcoming quad-core Kentsfield chip.

Lately the introduction of every new Intel Socket 775 processor has required a new round of motherboards. With Kentsfield scheduled for a November release, a question on the minds of many readers is whether Kentsfield will work in the current Socket 775 favorites. Will a BIOS upgrade provide the support needed for Kentsfield or will we need new board upgrades to accommodate the new quad-core processor?

That's good news for those looking at a CPU update down the line. It does look like Intel hasn't required a voltage regulator change to go to quad-core.

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Oh man, how much of an effect do you think this will have on the market. do you think it will be almost necessary to have multiple cores, or even four.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That depends on what you do. For many, having more than a single core is going to be worthless. People that do audio production, video editing, heavy multitasking, that's where multiple cores shine. Most people surf the web and check e-mail. You don't need a 40 bazillion core CPU to do that. Instead of clock speed, the number of cores is likely to be the new war waged in CPU competition.

Necessity will depend on what's being used. For me, it's not necessary, therefore I haven't made a real move to get a dual core. I can; my BIOS in my Ultra-D is ready for me to drop one in and go. That doesn't mean I need one.

Of course, there's the consumer demand, which AMD and Intel want and are competing for.