Boy oh boy, do I need help

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by theufw, Aug 25, 2009.

1. theufw

theufw Geek Trainee

Hello all,

I am in need of some help from the local experts here. :confused:

The problem I have is that my computer which I put together three years ago has has suddenly started switching off by itself. I have never had any issues with it and I really don't know what to do apart from taking it to a repair shop and I would rather work through it if possible.

The problem:

My computer has started switching off by itself. It usually does this a split second after pushing the power button but occasionally it will continue to stay on until fully booted and anywhere in between. It has not lasted longer than five minutes and 95% of the time it swtiches off within a second.

Potential reasons why:
    This happened after getting back from a week long holiday, I usually turn it on and use it everyday.

Twice in the week prior to this happening power to the computer was suddenly cut as the circuit was overloaded. (It did continue to work normally for the days following this but may be a potential problem)

Note: I have made no hardware changes since making it about three years ago. I have been using NOD32 antivirus since it was made so can't imagine it being a virus problem.

What I have done

I have checked a lot of forums such as this for similar problems but haven't been able to find any that appear to exactly match my computers issues.

I thought it may have been the memory as it does power up sometimes but after replacing the memory the problem continued.

Unforunately, I don't have a spare psu lying around so have been unable to try to isolate that problem but I'm wondering now if it has become faulty, and that's why I posted here. Do these issues sound like a psu problem?

I'm kind of at a loss now so any suggestions/comments would be most welcome,

Rough specs:

cpu: athlon 64 3800+
    Motherboard: asus m2n4-sli
    Graphics: 7900gt
    ram: Elixir PC 6400
    psu: Silent king 560W

(I know it's getting on a bit)

Thanks,

2. 0mega9401

0mega9401 Geek Trainee

most likely the psu take it out asap dont want to wreck the board ya know

3. theufw

theufw Geek Trainee

Thanks, yeah, in the end I figured it had to be the psu so I just bought a new one, installed it and haven't had a problem since. Not exactly sure why it suddenly packed in, probably because it was old.