Browser of choice

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Exfoliate, Apr 25, 2005.

?

Your browser?

1. FIREFOX! :good:

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Safari :)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Netscape Navigator :ohah:

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. internet explorer :eek:

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

Switching User Agents won't help since 2 sites I need on a daily basis are basically web services that require IE with Active X enabled to function.

I've tried User Agent switchers and the web service won't allow printing functionality due to lack of active x support.

On the other site when I try running the Citrix client Firefox just hangs.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

There is ActiveX support for Firefox. You can find it here. It's discouraged against, since ActiveX is an abomination to security, but it is available for just such an occasion as what you're mentioning. From the website:

"This plug-in is not part of the Mozilla distribution and even if it were it would be disabled by default. It is extremely, hell-freezing-overly, unlikely that Mozilla is ever going to support ActiveX by default. This plug-in is designed for custom, legacy and intranet solutions and nothing else."

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

Haven't tried that active-x addon tried this one and didn't have any luck with it.

But it doesn't really matter much anyways since the citrix client doesn't seem to like FireFox, which is an application I really need on a day to day basis.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow, you guys are something, FireFox is just a cool, reliable browser to me. Never tried to do anything else with it.

6. Anti-Trend

I'm glad Firefox is gaining widespread acceptance, because it's a step away from all the proprietary B.S. we're constantly getting stuck with. For instance, syngod's Citrix problem. If Firefox gains a large enough market share, companies will be more likely to use existing standards rather than supporting only one vendor.

7. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

A poll I looked at in college said something like out of all the internet users who took the poll, 53% used IE and 25% used FF, the other 22% was made up of other browsers and 'Other' (who knows what could have been in other).

8. Jellybean

Jellybean Geek Trainee

I've got IE with a phone modem and their firewall. I've also got AVG antivirus and Spybot and Ad-aware. If I change to Firefox, can I still use Outlook Express? I don't know if peoplepc uses another email source.

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

You can, works just fine for me bud.

10. Anti-Trend

You can use dialup and Outlook Express just fine with Firefox. However, you might consider replacing Outlook Express with the sister program to Firefox, which is called Thunderbird. It's a fast, free, secure mail client that has intuitive spam filtering built right into it. Well worth a look. :good:

-AT

11. dtm

dtm Guest

I use Firefox for PC of course :)

Although when i get my mac mini soon i'm sure i will be using Camino
    http://www.caminobrowser.org/

The Firefox for mac... Anyone used Camino... looks great and if its from Mozilla :)