Call Me DUMB!

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by gammafunkula, Aug 27, 2006.

1. gammafunkula

gammafunkula Geek Trainee

please just call me dumb cos i feel like an idiot, i brought a PSU in the states, a real fancy modular one in chrome with big fat braided cables, it looked so nice i mounted my pc on a wall. My problem is when i took it back to the UK and fixed it all back in the box, I forgot to switch the power flip from US/UK so it just went -:poP:- and has never worked since.

My question is, can it be fixed, if not please just reply with the word dumb, or variants of.

Thank You

GF

PS, the last time i opened up a psu box i got a real bad 'dead arm' so assume I really am a dumbass anyhow

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on what's fried. If it's just a fuse, yeah, but unless there's a user replaceable fuse that you can pop out, that idea's SOL. Due to the capacitors in the unit, it's a bad idea to fish around inside there if you don't know what you're doing. That's a good way to kill yourself, not to mention void the ol warranty.

It's probably time to pick up a new unit. You might want to make sure you snag one with an Active PFC. PSU's with this feature will automatically make the necessary switch between 120V and 240V.

3. gammafunkula

gammafunkula Geek Trainee

nice one, cheers for the answer, yeah i found out about the caps the hard way, is there any way you would know where the fuse would be placed? have looked but cannot see

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

IF there's one to change, you'd see it at the back of the unit where the cord plugs into it. If it's meant to be changed by the end user it'll be visible and clearly marked. However, most power supplies really don't have a user replaceable fuse, so you're probably SOL.

5. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Dumb! Dumb!......dont get confused with two Dumbs coz one is for me as I did the same thing.... :D

6. rimmer

rimmer Geek

yea, my mate did the same and he said that his fried too lol