Can I change or hide my IP address?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rebekka, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rebekka

rebekka Geek

Sounds good Donkey.

I was googling Linux and found YouTube videos showing how to install
    Ubuntu- which is going to be very helpful.
    :D

I shall now have a browse through the Linux section on HF.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I would recommend Ubuntu, Its very newbie friendly and generally everything just works (with a few exceptions on some computers).

Before you install Ubuntu, Try the LiveCD like Donkey suggested

Running Ubuntu from a LiveCD is exactly the same as using it after you have installed it, Running Ubuntu from a CD is a great way to try it and make sure that everything works (If everything works when your using the liveCD then it will work after you have installed it).

There are only two disadvantages of a LiveCD
    • You cant save the files onto the CD, so when you restart the computer your files and changes are lost (This doesn't happen when you have installed it though)
    • Its very slow, Hard Drives are alot faster than cd drives (it runs alot faster when you have installed it).

How do you connect to the internet?

3. rebekka

rebekka Geek

Impy
    My connection is by Speedtouch 330 Modem USB ADSL PPP - if that is what you are asking?
    I also have a Huawei Smartax modem and think I will change to that as I find it has it's own firewall.

BUT
    I thought I would try one more time to sort this computer out before dumping it and buying a new one.

Used the Reload Disc and went through it myself. It obviously took me a bit longer than it would for an expert
    but - Hey Presto!!! it works OK (at the moment) and to date I have no signs of Trojans or Viruses.
    I hope I am not tempting fate by saying that :rolleyes:

So, perhaps I will get a bit more mileage out of this computer :cool:

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ADSL was sufficient, but as you use a 330 it will also not be easy to get online with Linux, because you need to upgrade the firmware (software hidden inside the hardware) personally i have an old Hayes Ethernet Router (routers connect any OS to the net very easily) all you need is a cheap NIC (network interface card)[ot]basically a cheapo network card like this & it's a Gigabit card[/ot]Gigabit basically means you can use multiple PCs without dropping your internet speed for each individual PC, but all other networking devices also must be gig compatible for a network to handle multiple 100mb/s transfers (multiple PCs with unslowed internet access)

BTW: i actually ordered a much much better router last Saturday (than i currently have, because my current router is poorly)

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry rebekka i apologises for overloading you with info, that wasn't my intention, i was trying to help, not bamboozle you with crap you don't understand, so, sorry, i accept responsibility for trying to educate you, but, i actually blinded you with science, please accept my apology's to you

BTW: i will try to make the stuff i posted easier to understand

6. rebekka

rebekka Geek

"BTW: i will try to make the stuff i posted easier to understand"
    Gee thanks Donkey - simple words I can understand :doh:

"I thought I would try one more time to sort this computer out before dumping it and buying a new one. ...
    .....as it works OK (at the moment) and to date I have no signs of Trojans or Viruses.
    I hope I am not tempting fate by saying that.
    So, perhaps I will get a bit more mileage out of this computer yet."

Thanks all for your advice.
    As computer is working OK after the reload I will see how it goes and think about Linux etc later on.

:D

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you may like to learn about how to quote another HWF member or anything

[noparse]
    [/noparse] actually returns:
    & [noparse]
    [/noparse] returns:
    for a full list of stuff you can post, have a look at the vbcode page

i just try to explain stuff to myself as i was before i came to HWF & that works for me

BTW: glad i was helpful, thankies

Edit: using the "quote" button at the bottom right or a post actually quotes the entire previous reply, but don't forget the "Edit" button to edit your previous post & remember to leave a "edit reason"

Edit: please feel free to PM (private message) me about anything, because generally companies like to confuse users by using acronyms and stuff