Can I replace my cd-rw drive with a dvd-rw drive??

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Nico_2t, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Nico_2t

Nico_2t Geek Trainee

its 4.5 cm........

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I checked NEC's website and they have 4.2cm listed as height of drives, maybe just inaccurate measurements. You should be fine with any dvd drive.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

While Sony does have some proprietary all-in-one units, NF is pretty much on the mark. Due to the size of the CD/DVD discs, there are certain specifications that have to be followed. Secondly, Sony isn't known for pulling some weird proprietary crap like Dell. I "highly* doubt Sony came up with a non-standard drive, especially considering they make CD and DVD drive kits available on retail shelves.

4. Nico_2t

Nico_2t Geek Trainee

Am still none the wiser :x:

I Bought a samsung dvd-rw internal drive thinking that the drive would fit the tower...but hence no...length of the sony vaio drive is 5.25, so had to return it...also tried another one but again the same problem.....it is driving me :swear: mad.....

:(

5. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Maybe you should consider getting a standard compatible case instead.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

is it one of those vaio computers where the computer is built into the monitor case behind it? if so then it could be tricky

7. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I have a Sony Vaio sitting right beside me. I took the drives out of it and put them into this computer. I took an old one and put it into the Vaio. So unless they have changed the Vaios theya re standard size. And what do you mean by the drive is 5.25" long?

8. Nico_2t

Nico_2t Geek Trainee

Sorry i meant the width of the drive is 5.25"

:O

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

then it shouldn't be a problem, that is the standard size for a cd/dvd drive, i really dont see whats wrong

10. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

Same here, are you sure that there isn't something else blocking the drive, a screw, a piece of metal sticking out, a bent case, etc?

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah it should just slot in the fix with screws (unless it has drive rails in which case they will screw on to the drive then it will slide and lock into place in the case) like ThePenguinCometh said look for things getting in the way