Cant get 2 IDE devices to work...

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by daisycutter, Jun 7, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hi there, ive just built my system but having a troubles with setting up the HD and the DVD on seperate IDE channels. both work when set up as master/slave together on either IDE channel but when i try and seperate them to be masters of their own channels, no drives are identified at all. ive set the jumpers up right and both IDE cables work so i am beginning to run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

AMD64 3200
    Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard
    2gb ram
    segate 80gb barracuda IDE
    NEC ND 2500a DVD -RW
    7600GT 256mb

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

is the hd on the main ide channel (usually a blue socket)? they should work if they're both set in master (suppose hd is on main channel)

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

each IDE channel (IDE cable) can only have 2 devices on it, 1 master & 1 slave, set your boot drive on the primary channel (IDE 0) as master and connect it to the end of the IDE O cable then set your other device as slave and connect it to the middle connector of the IDE cable, connect the power to IDE devices then power on, and all should be ok

EDIT: if not try a new IDE cable

4. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

My system is currently configured as u suggested, with hd as master at end of cable and dvd drive as slave in the middle. im trying to get the dvd drive as master on the secondary controller but it is not being reconisged. i know the secondary controller works, i just dont know why its not seeing the dvd as master.

on a seperate note, can any one tell me why the master IDE device has to be at the end of the cable and slave in the middle? i mean, this it make any differance if master was in the middle and slave at the end?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

to be honest it only make a difference if you set both drive to cable select (C/SEL) it just good practice to always have the master on the end connector, if you wanted you could put the master on the middle connector, but your better to get into the habit of put the master at the end.

EDIT: C/SEL only works by assigning master to the end connector and slave to the middle connector, so with C/SEL you decide which is master and slave by connecting the device to either the end or middle connector

try a new IDE cable on the secondary channel.

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

Thanks for the advice, unfortuneately, havent magaed to find a solution to problem. mite try a new motherboard when i have some money!

7. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Plug the hard drive onto the secondary IDE channel and set it to Master. Does it show up in the POST?

If NO: Your motherboard or IDE cable need replacing.

If YES: That confirms the secondary IDE channel and cable works. Set the CD-ROM to Cable Select and plug it on the end of the Secondary IDE cable. Does it show up?

Also try plugging both IDE devices to the secondary IDE channel and see if it works.

8. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

WHen i plug the HD into secondary controller the motherboard detects it fine also, its also fine when i plug both devices into secondary channel, so the secondary channel is ok... is it possible the motherboard can be damaged in a way where it can only recongise one channel at a time? or that my particular mobo will only detect devices on 2nd channel when 1st channel is full?

gotta to get up for work early tommorrow so cant be dealing with taking my pc apart right now, but will try the dvd on cable select on secondary channel wheni get home!

9. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I could wait till 2morow so i tried it and it work. set dvd on secondary channel cable, with jumpers on cable select and now mobo is detecting it fine. cheers megamaced!:D