Canterwood?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by loaded_chambers, May 15, 2003.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I'm thinking about getting a new Canterwood mobo but I keep hearing mixed reviews about all of them. Suggestions? My price range is $170.00-180.00 and I plan on picking up another 512 stick of Corsair XMS3200C2 so I suppose $270-290 with the ram and mobo. And thanks for the advice on the Y splitter and the drilling of the hole in my case Big B. Both worked out great. Had to put a little too much effort with the hole on the 3.5". Hands still killin me!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depending on the board, you're looking at close to $200USD. From what I understand Springdale (i865) is pretty much the same as the Canterwood, but without ECC memory support. It also supports the old 400MHz FSB P4's I read. I still don't know since I haven't really read much about it. Intel has not officially released Springdale, but MSI does have a board available for purchase based on the chipset. The Springdale board boasts the same features as the Canterwood board, including the direct link between the Gigabit NIC chip and the 875/865 MCH (Northbridge).

I can't say I've really priced the Canterwood boards, but they are gonna be fairly expensive no question. Depending on features, I would not be surprised if several run around $250. I've heard that Gigabyte's GA-8KNXP Ultra is running close to $400, but that's mainly because the Ultra version of this board includes dual-channel 320 SCSI. They've got a few variations of the board to fit ones budget.

If you've got the money to do it, these are nice boards. Probably some of the most expensive single CPU boards outside of a Xeon or dual CPU board I've seen, but you've got the best chipset for the Intel side of things.