China Unblocks Wikipedia

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Impotence, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

"Even though the information on the site is still scarce, Editor & Publisher is already publishing the scoop: Apparently, Wikipedia has been unblocked in China. From the article: 'Wikipedia reported on its site that it had received word from multiple users in the country on Chinese-forums.com that the site had been restored.'"

Source: Slashdot | China Unblocks Wikipedia
    Article: China Unblocks Wikipedia

2. zimcerullo

zimcerullo Geek Trainee

Wow didnt know they block Wikipedia in the first place. Was it really all over a article about the Tienneman Square massacre?

3. Milanche

Milanche Geek

China is a conservative country... I would never live there even if I'd learn Chinese...

4. zeus

zeus out of date

5. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

Internet censorship is wrong I tellz ya, its wrong!

6. Milanche

Milanche Geek

I agree. I hate all kinds of censorships... I like everything to be public (except some stuff)

7. zeus

zeus out of date

Like nude pictures of your girlfriend, sister and mum. Imagine that! :gun: :swear:

8. Milanche

Milanche Geek

I said except some stuff... LOL!!! Maybe pics of my D**K

9. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah thats the fun of a dictatorship, its not cool at all

10. zeus

zeus out of date

11. Addis

Addis The King

I don't know whether it is the capitalist propaganda, or something else causing this view, but I wouldn't feel safe being a capitalist mixed economy supporter in China.

12. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

exactly, at any given time the government could take away your business no question asked, man, even though that would be mass chaos, so i don't think that will happen but yeah even still its unsettling.

13. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Err -- sorry, I'm slightly unsure if I'm understanding you correctly. Are you saying you wouldn't feel safe (if you lived in China) if you were a person who is in favor of capitalist mixed economy? Is that right?

Why not? That's exactly the economy they have there so I would think it would be perfectly safe for people to express their agreement with a system already established.

14. Addis

Addis The King

I expressed it badly, sorry. Although we are capitalist in the UK, we have government restrictions on a lot of things, so we are also a mixed economy. But you would agree that our government and economy is very different to China's wouldn't you? While true China is a mixed economy, their communist ideology pushes it far onto the left. We are both mixed economies, but we are far more capitalist, and so there lies the difference IMO.

15. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Ah. Yes, I see.