Computer Training

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by spikelad, Jul 10, 2005.

1. spikelad

spikelad Geek Trainee

I am based in the UK and thinking of doing a course in Visual Basic programming can anyone suggest a good company to train with.

What are employment prospects like if I do manage to complete such a course i would be grateful for some feedback guys.

2. Addis

Addis The King

I don't now of any training organisations, but I would recommend that if you are going to go into programming that you learn a more fundamental language first, like C/C++. Visual Basic is ok but to gain a broader understanding of programming you need to start with something else first. Once you learn all the concepts of programming, then if you like can start in Visual basic or straight into application programming.

3. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Learning an easy language first, in my mind, is best. Starting out with C is incredibly hard. Once you know VB, Perl, Python, or another easy one, move to C or C++, then assembler.

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

or you can learn some old skool MCSI

5. Addis

Addis The King

Maybe so. I've found it that the most important thing to grasp is the general syntax and programming concepts. E.g. object oriented programming in terms of inheritance, classes and member objects. You could learn VB first, but doing so it may mean that you're faced with an unpleasnt surprise when greeted with teh syntax of C style languages. I just don't think that Visual Basic is a good languages for programmers who want to take it further. It doesn't seem good practice to always rely on drag and drop functions to program.

If anything, learn something like PHP, Python first and play around with web based languages. Then move to C when you're ready.
    C++ is an easy language to learn with the right book. Tutorials on the net are no match for a good book, they can cover the language with detail and ease much more than tutorials can.