Cool Pixelate Effect

Discussion in 'Graphics Design' started by Matt555, May 1, 2006.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

In this tutorial we'll be creating an effect that uses a layer mask to give a pixelate - fade to - standard image effect using Photoshop.

Start off with an image you want to apply the effect to, I'll be using an image of a building as I think the effect will look rather cool on this image.

[​IMG]

Duplicated the layer and go to FIlter > Pixellate > Mosaic and choose a decent cell size, make sure that it's not too big otherewise the effect won't work.

[​IMG]

Now add a layer mask to that layer go to Layer > Add Layer Mask > Hide all. Now select a gradient, make sure it is the Black to White gradient. Now just drag across the image, white will allow the layer to show up - so wherever the white is that area will be pixellated, wherever black is will be your original image.

[​IMG]

Now isn't that cool?

Post your images created using this effect here so we can see your results!

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Cool! but is it possible to reverse it? I dont have photoshop but still I will try it on GIMP.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Reverse it? As in have the pixel stuff on the right instead of the left?

4. Karanislove

Check Mine......it was damn easy...Just select a region and use function pixelate...Cool!

Attached Files:

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah but it's a sudden pixellate, the one I did was gradual using a gradient.

6. Karanislove

oops! that is not easy for me.......~! I have tried but didnt find success, will try again later~!

7. gumdigger

gumdigger Geek

Sometimes Bigtools make simple things easy. To this sort of things i use irfanview.