Could it be the power socket?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by betsy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

Hi, having more problems with the laptop I was asking about in the memory section.
    When I attach it to the mains it appears to be completely dead, no lights at all come on.
    Could it be something as simple as the power socket and does anyone know how I can test this?

2. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

Could it be the power socket? updated

I manage to test the plug, it works. However when I took it apart and inspected the motherboard there seems to be a burnt out part next to where the power connects to the motherboard. There is a 3A fuse and then 2 tiny chips, it looks like it one of these thats burnt. Any ideas what this is and if it can be fixed?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Fixed? Depends. Most likely, yes, but if it's on the motherboard, that could end up being pricey, due to the proprietary layout of laptop motherboards.

It sounds like some surface mount component involved with the hardware power management was fried. At least that's what I can guess is the issue.
    I don't know if it's user-servicable.

You can boot the system up with just the battery, right?

4. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

Hi, that really doesn't sound good.
    I haven't been able to, either the battery is dead also or it wont boot using the battery.
    When I found this little crispy bit, there was signs that the motherboard around it had also been burnt. It has come off now though and the piece that had fried has just crumbled away.
    Also where it was it has left behind to tiny metal pieces that it was attached to, there is power going through these as my Dad got a spark out of them!

Does any of this help?

5. henry222

henry222 Geek

IMHO, No! you are making a bad situation worse and maybe a trip to the bank, or repair shop is needed - but not necessarily in that order.
    Ask yourself what might have caused this - then vow don't do it again.....is it possible the mains unit was yanked out and this may have damaged the connector and motherboard - or was a wrong PSU fitted and this blew the protection diodes on the MB (but I can't be certain that is what the pieces u describe are)?.
    Maybe remove the HDD, take if for use in another PC to extract any valuable data etc.
    Are the internal batteries charged via this socket/mains adaptor? - so without recharge they are exhausted. Can the battery be removed to charge externally etc...there may yet be a way of keeping it going - but "getting a spark" doesn't sound like a good result, whoever is doing it.
    Good luck

6. betsy

betsy Geek Trainee

Ok where shall I start. I know the sparks aren't good, we just wanted to check that the power supply was working.
    I will be completley honest, I bought this laptop off ebay knowing it wouldn't power up. I wanted a little project to work on so I could test myself but I didn't think it would be this hard.

I bought it with no HDD, or mains and it only has the built in RAM as standard so there is no risk of damaging it any further.

I have taken into one shop who said it can't be repaired but to be honest with you all he did was look at the part I told him to (ie the missing chip that fried) he didn't do any kind of tests on it so I think he just couldn't be bothered. Its currently in another shop but they've had it 2 days now and haven't even looked at it!!

When I first got it I plugged in a bog standard 19v adapter to see if there was any life, then I realised it only needed 16v. I suspect this is what the people before me did also, hence it fried!!
    The battery is charged by the mains supply so I have no other way of testing it without the mains supply and I pressume its flat.
    If I can find out the part that fried, is it possible to fix it by soldering a new on in? At least then I could find out if this is actually stopping it from powering up.

7. henry222

henry222 Geek

I think you are "probably" wasting yr time - maybe keep it as a reminder to keep within your bounds of experience.
    There is nothing wrong in trying to improve yr knowledge, but I think a piece of "questionable kit" is only a distraction and might lead you to dubious practices - it's about as close to junk as it gets.... er, IMHO.
    There is some danger associated with batteries and maybe it would be best to leave it with the shop to dispose of carefully. ((If it had been a friends PC and would work for a while at least you'd know it was a reasonable starting-point))....this - is - junk and maybe dangerous junk at that.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You might scavange the drives and RAM, but that's about it. If you can find a replacement motherboard for that laptop, you could try replacing that, but there's not some quick fix here unfortunately. If not those suggestions, I agree with henry222: that's junk.