cpu help

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by srasiroslayer, Dec 19, 2006.

1. srasiroslayer

srasiroslayer Geek Trainee

hello everyone,
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

ok let's get to business here,
    there have been some updates i'd like to inform you of regarding the system.
    now like i said earlier, connectors are installed correctly.
    maybe you misunderstood me here, when i press the power button, the system fires up (powers on), but it gets stuck on port 80 with the FF and vga doesn't boot. now while the system is running, i press the reset button and now port 80 starts running numbers and vga and bios boots.
    now here's the update.
    remember i was talking about windows getting stuck while installing on a certain phase.
    that has changed.
    if the system reboots after the format and windows installs necessary files, the system will hang while installing.
    But, if i power down the system after reboot and after necessary files installation, windows will install normally.
    again i have to power down the system (not reset, i still have to go through the turn on, press the reset, bla bla bla in order for it to start) in order for the 1st windows boot to start correctly otherwise it will get stuck.
    now i am writing you here on that exact machine. but there is definitely something wrong since i have to power down the system everytime, and press the reset after power everytime i install a driver or anything.
    i have been thinking of reflashing the BIOS again with the same Bios version but this time will let the flash update bios from the HDD instead of the floppy
    (1st time i flashed it, the files were on the floppy and the flash happened from there).
    thanks alot guys.
    cheers

2. srasiroslayer

oh and the question is,
    can i flash the same bios over the board again?
    cheers

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Yes, but i would try the older bios you flashed from.

4. NeloForster

NeloForster Source of Exyphetadolamin

I understood exactly what you meant.

You haven't tried the ATX reset I mentioned yet have you? Try it, about 25% of problems like yours are solved where I work by a simple ATX reset.

Mike

5. srasiroslayer

hello again,
    here are the updates.
    atx reset technique didn't work.
    i removed the power plug, even removed sound, actually removed everything.
    but one thing i didn't know which changed a few things, which is now that windows reboots is working since i disable HT, since the 3.2 prescott doesn't have hyperthreading in it.
    so now i can reboot and windows will launch successfully without hanging.
    i still have the powering on problem where i have to press the reset button in order for it to work.
    thanks alot guys.
    cheers

6. srasiroslayer

correction, cpu 3.2ghz socket 478 800mhz bus 1mb L2, does support hyperthreading.
    and again the reboot thing was just once, i still have the problem going.
    well... euh..........help?

7. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

If you have to press the reset button for it to turn on, it means that the reset button is plugged into the power on button.

So you cant get into windows again?, check that the heatsink/fan is properly seated, also i cant think what else it could be, i would replace the motherboard, or get a refund and get a different one.

8. srasiroslayer

the power connectors are seated correctly.
    please refer to my previous posts and u'll understand what are the steps i have to take. meanwhile cpu temperature are at idle 26 degrees celsuis, at full load it stays between 33 and 32 degrees celsuis (liquid cooling).
    what bothers me now, is that sometimes windows boots and systems runs really stable.
    but upon reboot it crashes and never actually boots correctly, so i have to turn it off completely, leave it a while and then try again.
    pretty weird.
    cheers