Cpu Overclocking Questions

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by sweber7777, Jun 10, 2013.

1. sweber7777

sweber7777 Geek Trainee

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion p6715f with a GT 640 graphics card and a 350w power supply, everything else is stock. I am thinking I may need to overclock the cpu on it.

I have been getting frequent chunk errors in Minecraft that are fixed by chunk reloading or by getting near them. My fps always shows fairly high ranging from 90-200 on far render distance and fancy graphics. Sometimes there will be a framerate drop when loading but the fps will still show high in the debug menu.

While I was hosting a Minecraft server and playing on it at the same time, I would get client crashes sometimes right as I joined the server which also seemed to happen if there was a high load on the server. I accolated more memory to both the server and client, but that did not make any noticable difference. I watched my cpu usage spike up to 80% at times in task manager, usually resulting in a client crash, but never a server crash. After the spike and crash the usage would drop down to lower than 30%. RAM would stay very steady at just over half used.

Battlefield 3 takes as long as 5 minutes to load some of the bigger maps, and I get framerate drops if I spawn in quickly on large maps as textures finish loading. Once a map finished loading, I often join in with the game already in progress.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether cpu overclocking is the right solution, and what would be safe to do with it. Thank you for any and all help.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I don't think you can overclock a HP/Compaq Motherboards..

3. dwarfer09

dwarfer09 Geek Trainee

i couln't understand some of what you said but it sounds like a cache issue or slow hdd, have you checked your swap file size?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

To reiterate, prebuilt systems generally do not include much, if any overclocking options. Additionally, with the Core i3/i5/i7 chips, only models ending in K (eg 2600K have fully unlocked multipliers, the 2600 does not). The Bclk (baseclock, formerly front-side bus/FSB) on Sandy Bridge and newer will only go 5MHz up, if you're lucky. In short, if you want to overclock, the motherboard needs to go.

Not to say a faster CPU wouldn't help, but I'm not so sure that's where the problem lies. Battlefield 3 is pretty beastly, so that doesn't worry me. I would make sure that Minecraft is patched up to the latest version, you've defragmented the hard drive, check your network traffic (can be done from task manager), and possibly see if any Minecraft settings can be adjusted to affect playability. See where that gets you.