cpu speed and temperature

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by littlesaj, Aug 23, 2004.

1. littlesaj

littlesaj Geek Trainee

i have got a amd athlon cpu and the temperature is 34 degrees and the speed is 3702 in bios...is this normal or fast...i dont minid if it is slow but i dont want to damage my motherboard or processor...

2. Addis

Addis The King

if the 3702 is the fan speed then yes. 34 degrees doesn't mean much if its in the BIOS because they can be inaccurate sometimes.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The speed your referring to is the fan that's plugged into the CPU fan header. All this does is let the system know that there is a fan there.

BIOS temps are pretty inaccurate, but even so, 34*C isn't too bad. If your motherboard supports it (and most recent Socket A boards do), reading the temp from the on-die sensor on the CPU itself is much more accurate. Not all motherboards read both. The only one I've run across is the Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Plus, but I'm sure there are others.

4. littlesaj

littlesaj Geek Trainee

so can i jsut ask is the 3702 speed for the fan fast....it is because my fan was making a lot of noise recently but it has quitened down now and is a lot better....also does it matter if i leave my computer on for 3 or 4 days straight?...i mean 24 hours a day for a few days...or does this mess about the processor or the motherboard?...

5. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

its ok to leave on your PC 24/7 my current uptime is 6 Days, 6 Hours, 21 Minutes, 19 Seconds! I leave it F@H :)

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It's actually better to leave it aqlways on.

I suggest you download mbm5 (motherboard monitor - google it) to get a better idea of your temps, especially under heavy load.

7. Addis

Addis The King

I'd leave my comp on all night for downloading but my parents won't allow it. mind you leaving it on always would run up a large(r) electricity bill. Especially when its a high end system that guzzles up power like a GT40.