CPU strength order

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by ShadowShaman, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ShadowShaman

ShadowShaman Geek Trainee

Hi everyone,
    I want to buy a laptop, but I don't know what CPU is good. I know that the RAM should be probably 4GB, HDD 1TB, but I don't know about the CPU. Long time passed after the last time I changed something on my PC. I remember that the GHz should be looked, but now there are some Dual Core CPUs that I don't understand. I have 2GHz on my computer (Athlon), but I saw that for a laptop there are 1.5-2GHz 'dual core' CPUs. Can someone explain me how much stronger this is than my computer CPU, and what CPU should I look for?

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What are you going to be using this laptop for ? In my opinion, Toshiba is one of the best laptops/notebooks out... I also would look at the Intel i3/i5 or i7 ..
    you will get more for the buck...

3. ShadowShaman

Mainly for university software, but I would like to have a few contemporary games, too. How do I know if a CPU is good? For RAM I look at the memory to be 2-4GB, but what to look at CPUs?

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Are you buying a new one, Or already have one ? I think you will be fine with an i3 or i5 cpu... They run about 3.1 to 3.3 ghz, with 4 to 8 gigs of ram, running either Windows 7 or 8... 64 bit..

5. ShadowShaman

I am buying a laptop as my PC is out of date. I am asking what CPU I should aim for and how they are compared by their strength, as I don't understand the new technology. I remember when I bought my PC, the only thing that mattered was the amount of GHz, but these dual core have just around 1.5GHz, is this multiplied by 2 or what?

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I am not sure what you want, But A dual core is sort of a two in one, They make dual core, quad core and 8 core now days along with allot of others..
    It basically comes down to which CPU you like , AMD or INTEL... They both are good... It all depends on how much you want to spend..

7. ShadowShaman

Okay. For example, could AMD Dual Core E2-1800, 1.7GHz support the newest games?

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I would say Maybe, But If your are going to do ANY kind of gaming, Then you will need an i3 or i5, They are dual core as well, they just run about 3.1 to 3.3 ghz, allot faster..Plus you will need a high end video card..

9. ShadowShaman

So where on the scale would you put AMD Dual Core E2-1800, 1.7GHz?
    Very fast
    Fast
    Average
    Slow
    Very Slow

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Average..would be ok for every day use, but not for gaming..

11. ShadowShaman

Thanks for your help, only one last question: On my PC I could play only games up to the year 2006. With the CPU I was asking about here, up to which year games I can play? 2011? 2010? Or even lower?

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sorry !! I would not know, I do not play games...

13. ShadowShaman

Okay, nothing then. Thanks. I think I should stop playing them, too, but it just won't happen :rolleyes:.

14. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

ranking based on a website (passmark)..
    if you're going for an AMD laptop, get an A6/A8/A10 CPU.. way faster than that E2
    for more info on your check here on AMD website.

15. ShadowShaman

Good. Then I will look for 2+GHz.

16. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

AMD A6/A8/A10 are fine, A10 will especially play recent games on medium or high settings without a discrete GPU. You can also look into a Phenom ll 965 Black Edition or an FX-4100/6100.