cpu temp and running load?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by eddieace, May 14, 2006.

1. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

ok i have another thread about my cpu temp, but after looking more into it now i've downloaded speedfan program i have found out when i've loaded and playing cs:s that my chip is running at 100% why is this? should it be running at 100%? surely this is going to cause excessive heat!

in game my chip is getting to 67 degrees, which should soon be sorted with a combination of a new cooler case and better cooling fan, i have also noticed my main harddrives temp also crept up to 59 degrees this all inside of 8-10 mins worth of gaming.

i'm not running any software alongside whilst gaming, at least that i'm aware of anyway.

i'm not in the know about computers and after a couple of weeks i'm slowly understanding things now that i should of been aware of a long time ago.

can anyone point me in the right direction to improve performance and overall better all round?

so far i have decided to
    purchase and fit

new cooler case
    vortex tx cpu fan
    hard drive fans

any ideas on how to reduce this 100% cpu usage on cs:s?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's perfectly normal to see a game loading the CPU to 100%.

While you're not going to burn anything up, 67*C is awfully warm. I'd say with some better cooling, as you said a good case cooling and possibly a new CPU heatsink (or maybe just cleaning out your current one with some compressed air) will help tremendously.

I don't know what's a good temp for hard drives, other than lower is better, although I would think that 59*C is pretty warm. Mine have run around 45*C on a hot day.

The basic flow for air is sucking in on the lower front of the case and blowing it out the upper rear of the case. Many cases have a place for a fan (80mm or 120mm are typical) up front, possibly two (for 80mm only). There's usually 1-2 spots for an 80-120mm fan in the back as well. A side panel fan is a bonus, but not necessary.

3. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Yeah, 59*C for a HDD is pretty damn warm
    A good temp would be between 18 and 45*C.
    Running a HDD at above 45*C will shorten it's life pretty quick.

4. eddieace

eddieace Geek Trainee

right sorted

thermal take soprano case which has
    120mm intake fan at lower front
    100mm side intake fan
    120mm exhuast fan
    vortex tx cooling for cpu
    hard drive cooler on my main drive
    and a new 550w psu which also draws air from the case and blows it outside.

think that should do it readings at the moment start at
    25*c for harddrive under load
    55*c for CPU under load 44*c idle
    2nd drive running at 32*c but has no cooler!

when we stripped my case down both harddrives were shacked up together, which probably didn't help matters!

5. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Those temps are much better, especially the HDD temps.