Cpu

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Andy2004, Dec 1, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

You can try this one first "identification BIOS file is right for this system or not"

then if it's ok, you can proceed with the flash.

The "original.rom" file is indeed your current bios.

2. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

Which command do you use to flash the bios?

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

It should be written in the readme file that was in the compressed file you downloaded or on the website where you downloaded it.

4. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

I found out how to do it at another manufactures website, there was no command, just the exe file followed by filename.rom.

Anyways, ive updated the bios okay, but there are no extra options, and it still reads at 1.5 running at 1.3. Maybe its just reading it wrong somehow??

Or maybe ive been given the wrong CPU

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That could be. You can always check the code on the CPU core....although newer chips have a sticker on the CPU packaging that has this code on it. This will require removing the heatsink and cleaning off the CPU core, but you'll at least know for certain.

While it should be autodetecting the speed, you may have to still set the multiplier and FSB speed correctly.

The majority of the few user reviews at Newegg indicate this board is basically a piece of crap. One guy has complained about not being able to run a 133MHz FSB, so that's something to think about. I believe Matsonic is another company/alias of PCChips. They make tons of motherboards, but the quality is pretty shoddy. PCChips also has boards produced under the names of ECS and Amptron, as well as PCChips branded boards.

My spider sense is tingling, and saying that you're problems likely lie with that motherboard.

My philosophy is this: time=money. What would you rather spend.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-128-196&catalog=22&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1
    I don't know what you paid for that Matsonic, but here's a nice Gigabyte board that Newegg is selling. The KM400 is basically the budget version of their KT400 chipset. My main box has been running a Gigabyte KT400 board for a good part of the year, and I've been very pleased with it's performance and stability.

6. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

The core in the bios says 1.5.
    I downloaded this program called CPUindex, which does stuff and measures the speed of the CPU during it. and at the end gives you a 4 digit number, which i presumed would be the speed displayed like it is, like 1800 being 1.8 etc.

This just displays what its running at during the test, but if is displaying it in the same format, then it must be going the right speed, because yea sometimes its 1300 and something, and others its 1500 and something, but right now it tested at 1730. which would be 1.7 nearing the total 1.8 it should be.

Do you think that is correct? or is it displaying a different measurement of speed?

If noone knows, is there any program which will actually test the CPU and display its correct top speed, rather than like windows, just displaying what its told?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've never used that program, but I'll have to look into it a little later (I'm about to go off to work).

I would go and check to make sure the CPU is an XP2200+. If you're not able to tell, post the code on the CPU and we can tell ya. Like I put in my last post in my edits, I'm beginning to suspect that the motherboard is the root of your problems here, and would suggest a different brand.

8. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

try wcpuid

10. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

Wcpuid...

Processor AMD Athlon XP
    Socket A
    AMD Athlon XP 1500

Internal clock 1350.05mhz
    system clock 100.00mhz
    system bus 200.01mhz ddr
    multiplier 13.5

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

the systemj clock should be set to at 133 mjhz, that is what is wrong.

12. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

Well I changed the jumper for that on the motherboard, they call it the CPU system clock though, but I changed it, I must of thought the other end was pin1 one, and so thought it was the correct way around, but i double checked, and realised the other end was pin one, therefore it was on pins 1&2, instead of 2&3. now its at 133mhz, WCPUID says its a Athlon XP 2200+ with the internal clock running at 1800.06mhz.

Sounds pretty sweet to me, the core in the bios says 1500, not sure why that is, i would of thought it would of said 1800, but its most likely fine now, cant beleive i made that mistake, oh well, got there in the end, another problem sorted, thanks for your help Big B, but a big thanks to Harrack52 for still bothering to reply after so many posts. Cheers.

Just tried CPUIndex again, which was giving readouts from 1300 to 1700, now the highest its been is 2400, so it must be running faster :D

13. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm glad you sorted it out. But if you still have doubts on what the cpu is, you can remove the heatsink and look at the sticker on the cpu itself.

14. Andy2004

Andy2004 Geek Trainee

Im happy with it right now, everything else apart from the 'core' in the bios, is reading it correctly now, so that'll do me, and the speed test i ran b4 and after, was faster afterwards, so im happy, thanks for all your help.

15. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well if it's oced your temps will be affected, thus creating instability, weird problems and/or decreasing your cpu life span.