Daddy wants a web page...

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by Matt, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

My father has told me (note the "told me" part) to make him a web page for his company

It then occured to me that i havent the faintest clue how to do this. What is the most beginner friendly web design software package to get this job done. I want to make it look fairly professional and attractive.

please help! im desperate

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well there's a few things to consider when making a web-page. You could code it in notepad if you want, there's fancy WYSIWYG editors (such as Dreamweaver) if you want them but from a coders point of view they're not the best - you'll have a far greater understanding of what's actually going on with the code if you write it in 'code view' and get to understand what each tag does etc...

While you could use notepad, it's not the best piece of software... NVU is free, as is jEdit (great piece of software, I highly recommend this one), there's also JPad Pro which is good but does cost...

You've also got to consider images with the web-page - if they're going to be used as backgrounds or for parts of the layout then you'll want an image editor, Photoshop is possibly the best editor but it's costly...Go with GIMP for images, it's free, powerful and while it may take a bit of getting used to (if you're used to Photoshop) it's an awesome piece of software...

As for starting to code the site, if you want to get a grip with writing (x)HTML then check out these few sites:

HTML Goodies
    Pixel2Life
    W3C Schools

There's a bit of information to get you started...hope it helps, need anything else just ask and I'll give you a hand :)

-Matt

3. stefan1988

stefan1988 Geek Trainee

it would be fairly simple if you just used a template and just made little changes to it with the programs or coding it yourself but is tedious work

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Coding yourself is the best way to learn, just using another template means people often skim through the code and don't pick up on what it's actually doing.

I prefer to code things myself, especially if it's a bit tricky, then again I do like challenges.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

HTML is pretty basic, and while you can do a lot more with PHP and such, HTML is just a tad more difficult than using the vBulletin formatting tags. I ended up doing some basic HTML formatting early on just because it was easier to get it up.

Just make sure if you use a text editor to save the file as an .html file.

6. Matt

Matt Oblivion Junky

7. Gerard

Gerard Geek Trainee

Not bad, well done.
    Very nice for a first site.