Dell may ship Firefox with PCs

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

WE REPORTED PRE-YULE that Dell UK was trying out shipping Firefox on desktop and notebook PCs.

Blake Ross has confirmed that on his Firefox blog, if you hadn't already noticed.

But according to news.com, that's not what Australia plans to do.

Perhaps not. Yet. But our info is that the UK trial is just that - a trial. And loads of our British readers don't seem unhappy with Firefox shipping on their desktop and notebook PCs. Dell is under no obligation to ship IE with their machines. And customers don't seem unhappy either. ยต

The Inq

Since its from the Inq, and there isn't too many references I'd take this with the usual grain of salt. But if its true, it should be good for the spread of FF considering the size and market power of Dell.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

If this is true it is definitly a step in the right direction.
    However, Dell would do themselfs a lot more service if they actualy offered different CPU based systems, not to mention a choice of different pre-installed OS. If AMD is truely so much better for gaming, how come they never concedered a DC AMD for their flagship gaming "monster"?
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...7&rbc=D12XP7&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsrsdimen_xps_600_1

I should work in marketing.....

3. Addis

Addis The King

Because the big bad guys at Intel would terminate their contract with them to supply cheapo chips and upskirt peaks at tomorrow's technology. They must be tempted, but don't know if AMD could produce the yields to keep up with their sales.

4. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[rant]Well, Compaq are big.... and they manage.....altough they too only provide Windows pre installed. A mistake IMHO[/rant]

5. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

Wow, this is a huge step in the right direction. I wonder what the hesitation is. Mozilla products are oepn source, and can be freely distributed. I could see Dell sales going up, since users that are not-so-knowledgable (who wouldn't already know about firefox, and would really be the new Fx users this deal would attract) would percieve Dell computers as "faster" and "better" since I know there are people who cannot discern what the difference is, if that makes sense. :ff: