Difficulty with changing vid cards...

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by ian mackinnon, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ian mackinnon

ian mackinnon Geek Trainee

We have a newish HP desktop and my son wants to run 2 monitors..both samuong syncmasters. Presently,he has a ati radon 5450 which I gather will not do this so I have an extra ati radon 9550 that I want toput in.

The problem is..even though they are the same type..physicaally the 9550 will not fit into the motherboard.

What am I doing wrong ?

Ian.

2. M_Kincy

M_Kincy Geek

the 5450 will support two monitors, the catch is one has to be connected to the digital output of the card (either the hdmi or the dvi) and the second monitor has to be connected to the analog output of the card (the VGA D-Sub). you can buy a D-Sub to DVI Adapter if your second monitor has no D-Sub input.

As to your question about the 9550 not fitting, i do not understand? is the card too long to fit into your chassis? Or does it have the wrong type of interface slot?

3. M_Kincy

M_Kincy Geek

I just thought of one other possibility. Is the computer a slimline PC? if so? the 5450 may have a low profile bracket installed, installing this bracket removes the D-Sub connector from the card however the pin-outs are still present. you would need to get a D-sub pin header - standard VGA ouput connector if this is the case. (which would also explain why your 9550 would not fit, being too tall)