Does this mobo support 4400+ x 2?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by gex18, Nov 26, 2005.

1. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

I have just received my new mobo (dfi lanparty) -socket 939), but want to know if it will support my amd athlon 4400+ x 2 cpu (as my old fried gigabyte k8n pro sli said on the box dual core ready). If so how do i go about updating it do i have to dowload something off the dfi website?

this is the motherboard;

http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/product.php?productid=18294

cheers guys!

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Not a problem

Yep, that board supports X2 Processors :)
    Oh BTW, Full specs are Here

3. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Pretty heavy-duty. I assume you're looking to overclock the hell out of the CPU?

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah that case is for the Hardc0re overclocker...Sub-Zero temperatures mean big voltage increases are an option...

6. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Great case there, although I can't say I find it attractive vaporchill is pretty much the best cooling you can buy within reason. Have fun with that one. As for your low score, well BigB pretty much gave you the run down in you're other thread, but basically you'll have to carefully play around with your extensive BIOS settings, particularly with the memory settings. But after you overclock it won't much of a difference whether your CAS Latency is 2 or 2.5 for instance.

8. Tag

Tag Geek Trainee

Nice CPU btw... :p got that same with plain 'ol watercooling. Still get at least +300 mhz out of it without worrying. Now if I could just get my memory and PCIe clocks better...

9. JimBowen

JimBowen Guest

thats an expensive case!!!for thatprice it could look a little better???!

so how does that case actually work? and how much will you be able overclock ur cpu???

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

[ot]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_change_heat_pump
    Each core overclocks differently, two of the same chip that have even the slightest differences can overclock differently. It all depends on things like that, you could get arecord overclock or find you can't get more than 100MHz increase...luck plays a big roll[/ot]

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The case has a VaporChill unit installed inside I belive which is sort of like crazy Overclock friendly better-than-water cooling. You just hook it up to your cpu like you would a heatsink I belive and get fridged temps.

12. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It's a phase change cooler built into the case itself, the cooler is located at the top of the case in a separate section above the 5.25" drive bays and PSU

13. JimBowen

JimBowen Guest

it sounds pretty hardcore!

how much would it let you safely overclock?

do they sell any thatlook a little better??

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well it could probably bring a 3700 SanD from 2.2GHz to 3.0 or so, provided you know what you're doing and have a great mobo, ram, and psu.
    Yeah that's about as good as the cases look, they have a few different models but generally the design is similar.

15. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

Installed vapochill case yesterday - here is the cpu idle temp (overclocked from 2.2 - 2.4 ghz)

[​IMG]

and in case you cant read it it is -37 degrees celsius (only at idle though)! Will try after a stress test tomorrow!

16. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

damn that's cooL!!!

17. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

Just played quake 4 and checked temps it went up to -34!

18. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

Well i now have each core at 2573 mhz (FSB 245 x 10.5).

My 3d mark 01 is now 27900.

Whill messing around with FSB and multiplier settings i tried to re-enter winows and had to do a hdd repair (on dos prompt enter C:\FIXBOOT) and read somewhere this is because messing around with some settings can alter pci/agp settings which are sensitive and can affect the hdd - is this correct?!

BTW what multiplier should i be aiming for? Tried to go down to 9.5 with a FSB of 280 but did not even boot!

19. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

You'll have to find out which multiplier and which FSB can settings can get you the highest clock without stability issues.

If you can, lock AGP and PCI speed at their default values (i'm not sure what they are) and it shouldn't affect hdd.