Dual Channel Memory

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by wanderer-z, Oct 21, 2003.

1. wanderer-z

wanderer-z Geek Trainee

Do I need to purchase the memorys that is specifically "Dual Channel" inorder to use the dual channel memory function of a FSB800 on an Intel or the FSB400 on the Athlon?

Or can I just use any two similar PC3200 400mhz memorys?

Here's the setup that I want to get:

- Athlon 2500+ Barton FSB333 overclock to 3200+ FSB400.
    - Gigabyte 7NNXP Motherboard.

What type of memory setup would I need?

Thanks!

2. Temporal

Temporal Geek Trainee

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt Dual channel work like 2 single channels? Therefore just haveing 2 sticks of "similar" RAM make it possible to take advantage of Dual channel memory, that is with dual channel boards...
    ~Temporal~

3. wanderer-z

wanderer-z Geek Trainee

Yeah, that is what I thought too. However, I'm seeing all these memorys being labeled as "Dual Channel" capability... so I'm wondering what the heck those are.

Maybe those with the "Dual Channel" capability can work in a single stick of memory all by itself without needing two similar memory? I don't know... maybe someone know?

4. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

All you need is 2 sticks of memory. One in the slot 1 or 2, and the other in the slot 3.

I strongly suggest that you buy them at the same time, to make sure they're exactly the same.

Dual channel kits are two sticks that have been tested together in dual channel mode, so you know that these will work. But you don't have to buy those. they're more expensive and you have no guarantee that they'll perform better.

I personally have two sticks of 256mb Kingston ValueRam DDR400 and they can do DDR450 speed. I'm very happy with those. They have crappy timings but I really don't care. People give too much importance to timings imo.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The nForce2 isn't as strict about the memory, but I would also advise that you do in fact purchase matched pairs of some high quality stuff. Timings do make some difference, but you really aren't going to notice them in actual useage. You'll score a little higher on benchmarks, if you're a freak about that stuff.
    The nForce 2 can run fine with only a single stick of RAM. Going dual-channel only increases performance 3-4%, and if you do that, Soltek and Asus both have single-channel nF2 boards that are pretty cheap and are neck in neck with the dual-channel nForce 2 boards. Just something to consider. If you're into overclocking, Gigabyte isn't the greatest choice, FYI. They are good, no question.