Firefox javascript flaw was made up

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

From the Inquirer.

A HACKER who told the Toorcon conference that Firefox was a complete security mess and couldn't be fixed has admitted that he made it all up.

Mischa Spiegelmock claimed that there was a serious Javascript bug in the decade old code which made it a doddle to cause stack overflows.

Since his announcement, security boffins worldwide have been trying to work out what he meant and duplicate his results. However, when the security supremeo at the Mozzarella Foundation, Window Synder caught up with him, Spiegelmock admitted he was just having a laugh.

Read the full article here.

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Thats bullcrap i was seriously doubting firefox for a minute. Good thing thats over

3. Addis

Addis The King

The Inquirer was right when it said that it could have been a lawsuit for slander if it was a Firefox was owned by a company.

But I guess the good thing is that lots of software engineers went looking in the source code for vulnerabilities, helping security.

4. Fred

Fred Moderator

I'm glad the whole thing was a joke and all, but lately im just getting really fed up with all the FUD going around internet news (not particularly on HWF). I keep hearing stuff about how MS is evil, how IE is evil, how Google is turning evil, how FF is insecure, etc. While some of it is true on some levels, I think I'm just most tired of hearing it and hearing people argue about it. And its not just the simple fact that they're arguing, but the fact that they aren't even trying to get something accomplished; they're more interested in arguing just to get themselves worked up. Geez, I need to start using Opera more... or screw it all, im going to start using lynx... nobody ever talks about that one. Then i can laugh at everybody else for getting compromised. *sigh*

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Google turning evil? haven't heard that one b4...

But FF does have a bug with its "find" feature. Can't believe they still haven't fixed it. The little "find" toolbar at the bottom sometimes pops up when u type the apostrophe ('). Like it did for me just now when I tried typing "haven't" in my first line up there. It's supposed to respond to the apostrophe key like that only when u're not typing into a text box or w/e u call it. But it sometimes does it anyway when I'm typing up a post. If u minimize FF and bring it back up it stops doing it. Wish all those guys had noticed that problem when they went looking for flaws heh.

6. Fred

Fred Moderator

With that one, I'm not referring to an article really as much as people's comments to articles. I recently saw an article saying that google might be buying Youtube and people's responses were that google is turning evil because they may be buying a company that has a competing product (google video vs Youtube).

7. Addis

Addis The King

I don't have that problem, weird.

8. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Maybe it only happens in the 'Windoze' version of FF? lol