Floppy drive not listed

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by KenshinX, Feb 17, 2006.

1. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Whats up guys well i recently have been very busy (one reason i havent been up here lately) I have gotten a large sum of computersin which i have to repair and get running very old but very usable for office work. Well one of the secretary computers i installed WIndows 2000 pro with all the service packs burning software etc. It was until today that i was informed that there is no Floppy drive listed in the system.

The floppy isnt listed under my computer my documents or any where in the system i dont remember me installing windows without it being installed too. Anyway it is a super disk floppy drive in which 3 other computers have but was recognized and listed on install. I was wondering is there anyway to install the drive through windows or to list it as a drive as there is no A drive just the C: cd burner and regular Cd-rom drive. I would hate to have to reinstall windows after all that updating.

Are there drivers for super disk drives it a LS 1 something i know that it is recognized as working properly afer installing new hardware any advice accepted thanks in advance and sorry if i posted this in the wrong are i wasnt sure if it was general hardware or Windows section.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Check the device manager and see if it shows up there. If theres an error there what is it?

3. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

evidently.....
    a) The "super disk" drive was defective
    b) That wasnt the original drive because nowhere in the current BIOS does it have an option for ZIP/LS/2.88mb floppy drive

conclusion.....
    Solved by taking another scrapped computers floppy and windows recognized it on first boot.

Thanks anyway Addis.

4. Sheephead

Sheephead Geek Trainee

My floppy disk drive is also not listed and i havent a clue what to do !

5. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Follow Addis's advice, and report back with the results

6. Sheephead

Sheephead Geek Trainee

Ive followed Addis's advice and it is saying that there is no error, so im stuck, any more advice?

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

same here....Floppy drive is not working and I have checked in Device Manager as well. There was an error on the floppy drive in there. I uninstalled it and click on look for new hardware. Problem still the same. Any Clue~!?

8. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Hehe, does anyone here NOT have a problem with their floppy drives? :D

9. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Before attempting to edit windows registry check the BIOS and make sure you dont have the floppy drive or 1.44mb disk drive disable or set as "NONE." If its a super drive change the lable from 1.44 or whatevers there to LS, ZIP, or Superdisk. If it is a basic floppy drive 1.44mb then set it to that the save changes and reboot.

Check the post screen for any floppy drive failures.

Try creating a registry for your flopy using this:

Copy and paste this on note pad under accesories and when saving the file label it: FloppyFilter.reg

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E980-E325 11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

Then located where the file was saved (best to save it to the Desktop) and Double click and it should come up with a message asking if you would like to add the file to registry click yes it should say successfully added shortly.

OR

Add the file to your system32 folder, this should be in the windows folder under the C: or which ever hard disk that windows is installed under.

Ex: C:/Windows/System32

Lastly, click start then go to RUN the type the following: regedit /s FloppyFilter.reg

This should do the same as above if it does not say successful.

Hope this helps respond with results please

10. pradeepta

pradeepta Geek Trainee

If your problem is still there then check your floppy drive cable connections.