Future power requirements?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by chico1st, Apr 27, 2009.

1. chico1st

chico1st Geek Trainee

Hi i know this is a crazy question but are power supplies in 3 years going to need to be more powerful or have systems plateaued in power usage? I was going to get a 500W PSU but if it wont last me into the future then I wont bother.

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, yes more than likely systems in the future are gonna require more power. It seems as they bring out new components each of them require more power especially graphics cards and when they launch 8core cpu's, 16 core cpu's etc even more power will be needed. You would of thought as technology advances there would be less power comsumption.

3. chico1st

chico1st Geek Trainee

So a 500W power supply probably wont cut it 3 years in the future? I am a gamer but I am definitely not on the cutting edge.

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

It all depends really if you have a Crossfire or SLI enabled motherboard and you want to add extra graphics cards to your setup. Personally I would go for a higher end PSU, because three years from now say you want to upgrade your rig you've always got a more powerful PSU on hand for the upgrades.

5. chico1st

chico1st Geek Trainee

So if i wasnt going to run SLi then i would be ok with 500W?
    I consider running two graphics cards pretty cutting edge and wouldnt do that. I would most likely have 1 non-amazing graphics card all the time and 4 hard-drives/cd drives, wireless card.

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Your on a fairly old setup arn't you I remember replying to a previous post about AGP so yes 500W PSU is more than efficent enough for an AGP setup.

7. chico1st

chico1st Geek Trainee

yeah but i would like to not have to buy a new PSU when i buy a new computer. I tend to just buy all the parts and do it myself.