GeForce 5900 making strange noise.

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by MheAd, Dec 20, 2003.

1. MheAd

MheAd Geek Trainee

Hi!

I've just bought a MSI GeForce 5900 FX card and I have a small problem. Every time I scroll up/down the Internet Explorer window by either using mouse or keyboard arrows, I hear some strange, scratchy noise coming out of my graphic card !!! As soon as I stop scrolling the window, the noise disapears as well!

Does anyone have any idea what could this be?

Thanks in advance!
    MheAd\

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's a new one, so I'm gonna suggest a few things that may sound strange, but can help figure out what isn't the problem.

Turn your speaker volume down or off to make sure it's not coming from your soundcard/speakers.
    Scan for spyware. I use Spybot Search and Destroy, and that works pretty well.

3. MheAd

MheAd Geek Trainee

Hi!
    Thanks for the reply.
    LOL, turning off my speakers was actually the first thing I did when I tried to locate the noise.
    And I'm positive it's coming from my graphic card.

4. MheAd

MheAd Geek Trainee

PS
    While searching the Internet, I've found some other people having similar problems and they had no idea how to correct it.

This thing is happening on random 5900 / 5900 Ultra cards. It seem not to effecting the performance in any way, this noise is simply "just there"...

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'd take it back for a new one if I were you.

6. MheAd

MheAd Geek Trainee

Hmm... There is no rush, as I got the card in my mail-box last friday (Dec 19th), so I have right to use it for 14 days and then, if I want to, I can return it and get my money back - no questions asked.

So I'll do some test this next week. I'll keep you updated.
    Of course, if you have some more tips what this could be, feel free to share it here with me.

Thanks.
    MheAd\

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

How much did you pay for the card ?

8. noelcurrie

noelcurrie Geek Trainee

This thread is 'old', but still significant. I've been experiencing similar problems, and I've done some investigative diagnosis. The 'problem' is worst when scrolling in IE, but also occurs when there is a 'sub-window' (frame?)that has a moving graphic in it, or when you merely move the mouse. The noise in my case is not 'high'; more like a 'medium pitched rumble'. It is heard through the external speakers, but is not changed at all by volume/amplification settings (both hard and soft), which means that it is being propagated purely via the earth line/shield. I also hear the sound when the CPU is 'busy', without IE running (ie: loading new apps, searching), which could also mean it is coming from the hard drive somehow, but I still think it is ultimately emanating from the CPU (and NOT the fan, which has an entirely different noise), and I've eliminated by disconnecting from power, and the 'rumble noise' still persisits. Anybody with new ideas as to the origin and solution for eliminating this annoyance? :confused:

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd say fan, but the circumstances just downright don't make sense. True there might be electrical noise, but I'm not sure if it'd necessarily be audible.

10. noelcurrie

noelcurrie Geek Trainee

Hi Big B. Thanks for the reply. As per my earlier post, this rumble definitely does NOT seem to be associated with the CPU, case or card fans, which is a different noise entirely, and also 'there' in the background, both physically (whirring) and electronically (low grumble), but is consistent, not too intrusive and actually endurable. The problem noise that I'm dealing with is absolutely definitely associated with IE scrolling, mouse action and video-display related activity. I've found many similar complaints that specifically mention 'Scrolling in IE' on other forums/chat threads. When I disconnect the line-out to the powered speakers (Altec Lansing) the rumble/noise disappears totally (while the fans keep whirring, but not grumbling! :mad: !).. While typing this note, with & without the speakers connected, I realise that the problem noise/rumble is also very subtly audible on each keystroke! :eek:: (Sort of like the early IBM keyboards where people accustomed to a normal typewriter action could 'turn keystroke sound on', but not as sharp).
    As I see it, the only possible explanation is electrical interference of some sort, and specifically related to grounding (otherwise it would be modulated by cranking up the speaker volume). Although I've already looked over all the cabling and connections more than once I think I'm even more certain now that it is originating from the motherboard somehow. I'm going try installing a 'not-on-board' sound card. If the noise is still there I'll strip the system and re-assemble it from scratch. I'll keep you posted on the results. :D

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I guess if it's coming in through the onboard sound, that might be an issue. I just thought about some sort of background noise with nForce motherboards while using the nForce-supplied sound and that it could be remedied by muting the mic input. I don't know if you've tried that, but it just came to me now.

12. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

When BigB meant turn your volume off, he meant in Windows :)

or if possible disconnect the speaker in side your case.. A case speaker basically beeps at you in a form of morse code called POST, depending on the signal tone and length it can mean any of a certain error or problem, however some case speakers do actually work as normal speakers for some reason.. mine does it in my case :)

So mute windows volume, if that doesnt work you could just disconnect your case speaker and buy another one.

13. kRooGz

kRooGz Geek Trainee

I had the same prob with an old system I used to use. It went away when I re-mounted the mobo using the little red rubber washers on the mobo mounting screws. Worth a try dude. :D