Got my first taste of CS:Source...

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Waffle, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

.. and I liked it!

I'll probably get a virtual-slap from some of you, but having never played CS, nor finished Half Life, I thought I'd make the effort seeing how cool HL2 looks. Got the game yesterday, had 1 install error - turns out you have install CS + HL at same time and not just the one. Booted up HL, very, very good. Then tried CS, on my new wireless internet :D.

Sure I sucked at it, but I played for 4 hours straight. Awesome fun.

2. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

You've missed out! CS:Source is great however Counter-Strike has been out since mid 1998 (beta releases). :)

I've been playing regularly since around Beta Version 6.2 (i first tried it at Beta 5.2) and i think that was late 1998 - 1999 :)

So 5 - 6 years :D

I used to be alot better at CS than i am now, but i used to play atleast 5 or more hours a day (when i was around 13 / 14).. (sad i know)

I play probably around 3-10 Hours max every week now, I can usually beat the majority of people i play against online, although u do come across one or two people who are either exceptionally better skilled than you or are cheating fagg0ts..

I completed half-life, and will get HL2 next week when i get paid, along with a new graphics card..

Please note if u have CS:Source and HL2 you should really have alook at some of the Half-Life 2 modifications out there, have alook here:

www.halflife2.net/index.php?page=mods

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

HL2 is pretty cool. Steam...well, let's say this need some MAJOR work. Quite frankly, you should not have to get online to play a solo, single-player mission. Actually, having to log on to Steam to play the single-player is downright irritating. Took me 4 hours before I was able to play HL2 between the slow-as-hell installation and the trouble of having to register a product I legally purchased. It's a good idea, but it falls so incredibly short of all the promises made, it's just nuts.

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

You can choose to start steam in Offline mode and play single playa through that..but it still sucks a fat one.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Well some developpers have decided to take matters in their own end and build their own security. And quite frankly, I am down with that because:

1) I am a programmer and I completely understand the amount of work it takes to do these games.

2)I really don't see how this game can be cracked. It's not a simple matter of getting an exe. You litterally have to log on to steam with a valid key so they can unlock your files.

On the other hand, you have Raven Shield (to name one), which is protected by a third-party company (PunkBusted), which have been accused to create their own cheats and sell them online so they can justify their existence. Not sure if this is true, but the point is a game developper should take matters in their own hand, and while they're at it, they might as well do it right.

Steam as a backup function, don't know how it works but I guess it's a protection in case you break your cds or dvd.

We all have to understand that gamers have abused game companies, and now companies abuse gamers. That's just life.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Someone will figure a way around Steam, don't make any mistake about it. It WILL be done. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Kinda like a company that says they have some security that can't be beaten. It can be, but not necessesarily with any ease. Nothing is unbreakable or unbeatable.

Valve has come out and said they're using a commercial - program to puposely distribute copies of HL2 and then get the drop on those that download it.

The offline function...well that doesn't seem to work all that great right now. Again, this is right now. Hopefully Valve will see some of these problems and fix them.

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Totally Agree, unfortunately no matter what valve does they will always be critisised in some way or another, it's exactly the same with Microsoft, Windows will always be the most hated operating system on the planet, yes it's not perfect, there are huge floors in the system, but none the less, everything has faults.. and for some reason everyone seems to think that because computers are so "intelligent" and "powerful" they should be able to do everything down to bringing them a cup of tea..

Microsoft Windows is a fantastic bit of kit, i mean it really is, i have not always been so enlightened as to my opinion of MS however, starting to learn to programing, and delving into the depths linux, bsd and unix has given me a big insight and understanding and.. well appreciation for what Windows is.. Yes it is shit, it is unstable, insecure, and above all slow.. but so what?

Thanks to the windows operating system i suspect that most likely it has aided in advancing technology, medicene and the human race, its abit extreme i know.. if windows had not come out, there would have at some point been something similar, however windows came out first and provided a gigantic leap for Mr and Mrs Average, allowing businesses and individual consumers to communicate easier, which in turn aids way to many things to list..

I personally do think MS is shit, and at the same time i do the majority of the time swear and cus at it, however at the same time i do appreciate it..

Unfortunately, with most software, the user (who ever that maybe) will always be disatisfied or unhappy, and will always complain.. the only thing that we can do, is to take a step back and try to appreciate what it is instead of what its not..

And like most things people critise, they do not understand what they are critising, so to get a broad and unbiased stand point on the matter you have to learn to understand the subject.. in this case i have, although not fully as i'm starting to program..

All i can say is we are all hipocrites and we all hate what we love, Steam is good, but its also bad.. and people will get around it, but fair play to steam, what they've done as a comparison to CS1.0 is amazing.. i mean it really is..

It may not be full proof, it maynot be brilliant, but its bloody good enough :good:

*sorry for long post :)

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

there's always ways around things.

Point is if you've never programmed a language like Java or C, you do not nearly know what it takes to do something that's only starting to be something interesting.

Just build a simple GUI in Java witrh a couple buttons and panels and keyboard shortcuts, and you'll see what I mean.

Consumers have absolutely no respect for game companies, so game companies, like I said, took matters into their own HANDS (no mistakes this time :p).

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I have programmed in C, although i am not fluent, my accident in July set me back considerably - enough that i have had to rebuild the majority of my knowledge, or "re-spark" it anyway.

So i have only just started to really start to get good at VB, it's not much, infact compared to C its like writing html, by saying i had programmed, i was not suggesting that i know more than u, or understand more than you on the subject of appreciating software from whom ever it may be.

I may not have the largest IT knowledge for my age, however my accident set me back enough that i've had to learn the majority of again.

The first time i used a keyboard after my accident i had a panick attack, i was literally in shock because i could not ever remember touch typing let alone at the speed i was typing at.

I suspect your post was not meant to seem to be snearing at me or my post or opinion, however please respect that i have been through alot, and my opinions may not be as accurate, well opinionate or structured as they should be. :eek:

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Save a new thread - anyone with HL2 on DVD, did it come with a manual?

Mine didn't! All I got was a slip of paper with some vague controls on them.

I contacted Valve, but I guess with all the problems of Steam etc, my missing manual isn't the top of their priority list.

11. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

I purchased half life 2. I didn't bother installing it b/c steam is rather buggy at times. Instead i am playing the game straight off of my computer. You can do this by putting all of the files in a folder, creating a shortcut of the exe and changing the path at the end with -steam written at the end. this way you NEVER have to log on to steam to play the game. which is a GOD send. Once i beat the signle player i'll install the whole thing so i can play counter strike: source. Overall this game kicks butt. Except man, what a hoax. Scaring people with the rumored hardcore requirements. I mean i have a decent machine with a p4 3.0 ghz, 1.5 gigs of ram and an MSI geforce fx 5950 (which supposedly isn't good with directx 9) and i must say i play the game with everyone on high, even some AA and i get around 85 FPS in the game. Same thing with Doom 3. Everyone who bought a brand new card just to play this game i think made a foolish decision. Now, if you got a new card just cuz you get new cards, thats your choice, but for one or two games- just plain crazy. Oh wellz, as long as you're happy and are having fun- to each his own! Take care all.

12. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Save a new thread - I've been looking over the web and the mod sites for a little mini-mod, I suppose. It may be in the game already.

At the start of a new round in CS:S, someone will send a message that says something like "<<Glock/AK47>><<Kevlar>>" and during the game, it comes up with something like "<<Cover me I'm reloading!>>" or "<<Get to A/B, I'm planting/defusing the bomb!>>"

Any idea if you know what I'm talking about where to get it, or how to make one?

Thanks.