Hardware Monitor Reports +3.3v as 2.65+- ... Expl please

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by braden87, Jul 15, 2006.

1. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

Asus A7V8X-X amd 2500+ oced to 3200+
    2 maxtor drives 80gig, 250gig
    CHaintech gforce 5200 256mb
    512 gen ram

Been using this system +- 3 years, just recently hardware monitor started detecting an error. the "+3.3V Voltage" (i have no idea what that is) has its value in red and it states anywhere from 2.62-2.65.

Is this a problem with my motherboard or powersupply?
    Also the fan just burnt on my video card, replaced it, still having some freezing issues in graphics intense games, could this be a piece of crap video card messing things up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    - Braden

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hardware Monitor Reports +3.3v as 2.65+- ... Expl please :S

Well the +3.3 voltage is your power supply, what power supply have you got?
    Maybe your powersupply is on it's last legs, or maybe it's just an error with the hardware monitor.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, the fan dying on your video card could've allowed it to succumb to heat issues, and that could be causing the problem. Typically, the BIOS readings are not the most accurate for power supply readings. I would test the voltages with a multimeter. If they're out of spec by more than 5% either way, then I'd worry.

The BIOS readings are typically inaccurate because of the hoops the juice goes through before being read.

I'd also run the CPU at stock speeds for the time being. Yes, the 2500+ overclocks quite easily, but overclocking can affect system stability, so ease off of it until you know everything else is in working order.

4. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

Sigh,

Almost immediatly after I started this topic my computer stopped booting all together. When I power on, the monitor goes from standby to on, but I see nothing (black), normally if there's no signal, my monitor says so (it's a viewsonic), but it says nothing. I replaced my power supply because I found a very nice on for 25$ on tigerdirect.

HOWEVER, upon replacing the PS my computer still will not boot and does the same thing :mad: .... so I am left with what options? replace video card?

thanks for the help guys

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I doubt a $25 power supply is going to cut the mustard.

If you're going to buy from TD, then this would do the job for your system. There are cheaper units, but they're brands that I would not recommend. If that PSU doesn't power your system up, then there might be something else to look at.

Cheap PSU's are not a good move, especially if they're having high wattages.
    I can't see $25 CAN buying anything good in power supplies.

6. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Those X-Connects are shitty quality...but even so, those are more than enough to power on your system.

I wouldn't recommend using the X-Connects with your new rig, however. They've blown up in two reviews that I'm aware of, so needless to say, those particular units should be avoided.

8. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know Epox had some issues with later Socket A boards, (VIA KT333 chipset and up), but I'm not sure if that had anything to do with their KT880 boards or not. The KT880 wasn't the most popular chipset as the nForce 2 had been out for some time. I don't know if that board has been affected or not, but it wouldn't have been my first choice for a Socket A board. For the record, it looks like they've gotten a handle on their newer Athlon64 motherboards in terms of quality control.

For overclocking, Epox has been one of the bigger names in that department, so I'd imagine you'd be able to do at least what your Asus board allowed.

10. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

Realllly, i was under the impression epox was good qual / reliability...

ahhh well, all i can do is hope for good luck I guess... thanks for the advice

11. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

Got the epox installed, I have graphic output so it was the mobo :D

... however... HD is detected correctly but as soon as it tries to boot from HD bios freezes.

If I change boot order to CD before HD it says Booting from CD: then freeze... if HD is first in boot order it just freezes...

any idea what the problem could be

12. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

it seems to be the hardware issue, either not properly seated or faulty. Do you get any kind of beep when your computer starts?
    Alternatively, pull out all the cards and put them back into your machine again and also check all the connection cables to make sure that its not loose..

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

When you say the BIOS freezes is this in BIOS or during POST? Or is it when the system attempts to boot off the CD or hard drive?

Have you plugged in all power connectors to the motherboard?

Also, do what Karanislove has suggested: re-seat your RAM and cards.

14. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

I forgot motherboard replacement means reformat... I guess it couldn't read HDs... anyways everythigns good now except trying to play games... it will totally freeze (ctrl alt del even does nothing) at random points during gta:san andreas as well as when I play my half life MP games (only certain maps, other are completely fine) ... also I get wierd screen flashes when starting up, and after i hit advanced in settings under display properties, it flashes again when I hit geforce 5200 @ the top of that screen and again when I go to the actual nvidia settings page...
    I'm using media centre edition, which I wasn't before... does this problem sound like anything to do with MCE or is my video card cooked?

15. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

It could be your RAM so run [link=http://memtest86.com]Memtest86 V3.2[/link] overnight and see if you comes out with any errors.....

16. braden87

braden87 Geek Trainee

Good call, 929 errors after only an hour.... I guess I need new RAM eh?... no way to recover this stick?