Hardware newcomer needs basics explained to him....

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by PsychoSavager, Oct 21, 2007.

1. PsychoSavager

PsychoSavager Geek Trainee

I'm planning on getting a laptop soon, which I will be using to play games on also (I know desktops are cheaper, but I need the mobility and size of a laptop for work).

I'm not very good with hardware in general, but identifying graphics cards (and sound cards for that matter) is causing the most problems.

How do I tell from its name whether a computer's graphics card supports DirectX 9?

2. Addis

Addis The King

All modern graphics cards (from at least 3 years old) will support DX9, and most new ones will also support the new DX10.

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

I agree that all cards that are 3 years< will have DX9 HW support... but only to a certain degree, therefore - Tell us what you're looking at (models) and we'll tell you how good it fits your needs. :D

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Laptops are not for playing any long time games,or can they handle the heat.
    Most laptops won't be able to play allot of the new and bigger games.
    for that I am afraid you will need a desktop..

5. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

Actually some of the laptops now a days support a full unlocked SLI mode that will outperform some desktops.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

PHP:
    Actually some of the laptops now a days support a full unlocked SLI mode that will outperform some desktops.
    Well, working on Desktops and laptops now for over 10 years,Plus working for
    Intel for 15 years,I would have to disagree with that..Laptops will always get
    HOT after any amount of time. They just do not have the capability of cooling down..Laptops are good for allot of things,but In my opinion they are better for work and not games. Plus most of the time,You still have to be plugged in to use it,just like a desktop..They only advantage is space..:rolleyes:

7. PsychoSavager

PsychoSavager Geek Trainee

Unless you can recommend a relatively small desktop, I'm going to need a laptop - I don't have the space for a desktop (I'm living in university residence) and I need a computer that's small enough to take home.

I am looking at some spec-heavy games (such as Supreme Commander) but I'm not going to be playing them online and I don't mind putting them on lower graphics quality if needs be.

It's not that I'm looking for a new system to play games on - it's just that this laptop is showing its age and I need a new one, and I figured I might as well get one that can play games competently.

8. gazaway

gazaway Geek Trainee

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You are right, you will need a laptop... but most gaming laptops/notebooks are
    not cheap.. like about $1,800 bucks and up..Allot of the games played now days require a high end video card,and that is where the problem is with laptops/notebooks..I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend...