Help deciding on a laptop.

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Concept, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Concept

Concept Geek Trainee

I've been looking for a while now for a laptop for school in the near future. I have around $500 to spend, and I'm looking to get one capable of running WoW and other lower end games comfortably. I plan on getting a refurbished one to save money.

I have these two computers in mind at this moment:

Gateway T-1625 Refurbished Notebook PC - AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile TL-60 2.0GHz, 802.11g Wireless, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, DL DVDRW, 14.1" WXGA, Webcam, Windows Vista Home Premium RB-T1625 at TigerDirect.com

and

System Specification

The x1270 graphics appears to be about the best I can get for my price range. I understand that it should outperform the Intel x3100 (which seems to be in most of the laptops in my price range) by a little bit. If anyone has a better idea for me, I'm all ears. I'd be willing to sacrifice something such as hard drive space for better video, but I'm not finding much else.

Thanks.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Hi

You'll be pushed to find anything with these specs for this price.
    I was looking for refurbed XPS laptops and for this price all I found was laptops with lower specs.

I am no expert on laptops so my concerns with this product:
    CPU - never worked with one, have no idea how it performs.
    Screen - 14" is very small in any context.
    Make - very popular in the UK a while back. These days - nowhere to be found. Not sure if this is an indication that the they gave up on the UK market or vice versa. ;)
    OS - blah..... :D
    No firewire?

What I do like:
    Optical Drive
    HDD size
    HDMI output
    (if I understood correctly) Built in card reader
    Overall value for money

My Bottom line - if you are happy to spend $500, as I said before, I do not think you would find better for the price.

Check warranty carefully! Good Luck! Good find!

3. Concept

Concept Geek Trainee

I ended up with the gateway.

250gb hdd
    2.0ghz dual core
    2gb ram
    x1270 graphics
    HDMI port

all for $499.99. I'm happy with what I get.

Thanks for the reply.