HELP!! Infected by some type of Spware program!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Euro98ITR, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

Im not the only person who uses the PC at home and the other members of the family dont take the necesary precautions!

When I start Windows Explorer 6.0 (With all the latest updates), my home page was changed to this link "res://pmqyq.dll/index.html#96676" which brings up popups, ads etc... I tried to change the homepage settings from internet settings but everytime I restart IE6 it goes to the link I mentioned. I downloaded Spybot and scanned my system and it found several threats, all of which where fixed. I scan immediately again... fix ... but the same thing happens everytime. I also tried to scan with Norton AV 2004 but nothing is found.

Any idea how this problem can be solved?

Im running WIN XP Pro with all the latest updates.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

http://www.hardwareforums.com/showthread.php?t=1965

I use Spybot Search & Destroy myself. Also, you'd do well after clearing out the spyware to jump to another browser. Mozilla's firefox is a great IE alternative, but it has the feel of it, plus extras like tabbed browsing. Once you experience tabbed browsing, you'll never go back.

3. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

I started the spyware thread myself!! But I dont feel like changing IE6 im quite satisfied with it! Is there a way of cleaing that thing?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes. Get a Spyware removal tool. Two of the most popular are listed in the link I posted.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

that happens to my mom's bf's computer all the time, its a gatweay running win xp sp1 updates blah blah blah. every time i boot i run scans an i got 500+ infcted filez every time!!! i boot without internet and run scans directly at boot so the desktop doesnt even show up! this is making me angry...you wouldnt like me when im angry...probably because i whine alot. well anyways the best thing i can do is backup all your wanted files onto a cd, or something. then just do a full reinstall of windows, that should do it.

are you behind a firewall euro?

6. Euro98ITR

Euro98ITR Big Geek

Yes im on a firewall! I was using the firewall supplied with IE6 but not im using Mozilla's Firefox, much faster and secure than ie6. I recommend it to everyone.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, the firewall is part of Windows XP. The best type of firewall is hardware-based, but for software, ZoneAlarm is excellent. The Firewall in XP only blocks incoming traffic you don't want. If you get a virus, trojan, etc. or something that's sending out info from your PC, it doesn't block that. ZoneAlarm, for example will block stuff if something slips by. At first, everytime you fire something up that needs to use the internet, it'll pop up and ask you if it's okay.