help with my outdated graphics please!

Discussion in 'Graphics Design' started by jonah177, Mar 21, 2006.

1. jonah177

jonah177 Geek Trainee

Hello
    I'm a newbie! Hope I am in the right place.
    I wonder if anyone can help me. I am still using old graphics software called Windows Draw 6 Special Edition from Micrografx which was actually supplied free. I still like using it, but have been encountering a few problems now I am running Windows XP with compatability to other programs. Plus the cdrom is getting a bit scratched up...
    I have been looking around for an update [this is about 8 years old!], but not been able to find something similar. The Micrografx website didn't seem to help. Can anyone recommend software that could be suitable? I know there are some good packages out there, but I do not need it professionally, more for fun at home.
    Oh, the other thing is, my budget for a new one is exteremly low!!
    Many thanks if you can help

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

3. jonah177

jonah177 Geek Trainee

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

As Karanislove suggested, the GIMP is probably your best bet. Be aware that you need to install the GTK+ Runtime files before you install the GIMP.

You can download GTK+ and the GIMP here

5. jonah177

jonah177 Geek Trainee

Thanks for the reply, I thought I'd set up email notification of messages, I'll have to check that as I'm not!
    When I tried to download the GTK+ the instruction went to what looked like german, so I didn't know what I was doing. Any suggestions please? (As you can see from my 'outdated' graphics I'm not a pc expert!)

6. Karanislove

When you click on the dowload button. It will take you to the mirror of setups. Choose the closest one(Press download). After couple of seconds a popup window will appear. If your popup is blocked then enable it for this site. Save that file in specific folder and install it~!

7. jonah177

jonah177 Geek Trainee

Hi there
    Thanks , I hadn't noticed the blocked pop up!
    I chose my local UK mirror and saved the file. When I went to run the setup all the instruction was still in German? There was a window with all this ticked boxes, but I couldn't read what any of them were!

8. Karanislove

Use another mirror then...like Australia(sydney) or something.