Help with PCMCIA?

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Draeas, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Draeas

Draeas Geek Trainee

I have just bought a new USB 2.0 PCMCIA card for my Compaq Contura 430. The product is here: http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=4091
    I am running Windows 98 on the laptop.
    Problem is, the computer will not regognise the card what so ever, no matter how many times I install the drivers, either manually or from the CD-ROM (which, incidentally, I had to copy to the hard-drive via floppy, as there is no CD drive on the laptop). The sytem requairements are one Cardbus Type II slot and Windows 98 onwards. Would a non cardbus PC card fit into an old slot? Anything else I might be doing wrong? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Is it appearing in device manager? (also make sure that the PCMCIA slot isnt disabled in device manager.... default settings are VERY stupid sometimes)

3. Draeas

Draeas Geek Trainee

No, everything is set up ok and enabled.

4. Helmsman

Helmsman Geek Trainee

Just joined the Forum so hope this is not too irellevant. I too have a Contura 430 and cannot yet get it to recognise a PCMCIA card (in my case a Belkin Wireless Network Card). Any help would be appreciated. Regarding loading of software, I take out the HD and connect it to a free connector in my PC (via a adapter). Next, copy the files to the HD, then refit it back into the Contura. This works great. For example I copied the Win98 install disc entire, then after it was refitted to the Contura ran Setup. The advantage of doing this is that you do not have to reinsert your install disc for updates (a bit difficult in a Contura;). This also works for any computor with a CD ROM