Hitachi 400GB Hard Drives

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Big B, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Anand Tech reviews the largest hard drive yet.

Hitachi is the first to the 400GB mark and currently, they are the only one to offer the drive size. So, if that's a requirement of yours, then there's no options to consider other than the 7K400. If this is a purchase that you must make today, there's nothing to complain about when it comes to the 7K400.

Man, think of all the por...err, data you can hold on one of those things. I don't think I have 400GB between all the computers I own! Anyway, 400GB is yummy.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

jesus. thats insane, what would be the benefits of having 400gig?! ive never used over 20, even with .mp3's and games, and even a dual boot!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Some hefty storage on the cheap is my guess. If you need a way to store videos, 400GB ain't bad.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

At this point, you'd be all around better off doing a RAID-5 with a few 150-200GB drives. Same size (or bigger), data redundancy, crash resistance, performance increase and about the same price. ...but it'd be nice to get a few of those 400GB's in a RAID, wouldn't it? :D

5. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

400 gigs eh, sure beats my 298.

Of course, in reality, it should be 320 but all well.

Thats a sweet drive but Hitachi and IBM are the same company...kinda sketchy ever since those faulty IBM drives

6. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Interesting, the Maxtor MaXLine III and Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 are due out pretty soon (Q3 '04) with the SATA flavor containing native command queing(NCQ)..cant wait :)