Hot Power Supply

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by kayber, Mar 2, 2007.

1. kayber

kayber Geek Trainee

My PC is about four years old. Pent 4, 1024 RAM, ATI 256 bit graphic card, Asues Mother board. (Just what I can recall off the top of my head) I noticed recently from installing an older soundblaster live card that my power supply seemed hot. It's a 430 watt power supply its been there for about four years. I'm a gamer so I'm sure its gotten alot of use. I took the sound card out and its not as hot as it was. It's still hot though but not extremely hot. Doesnt' help the case is metal and pretty damn cheap. I just ordered a 640 watt power supply. I'm hoping this helps the issue. I guess my question is what is the average life span of a power supply? I hope this new supply stops the heating issues. The PC runs fine though I've yet to have any problems with it. I just noticed after dusting it and cleaning it up, and installing the sound card. That the power supply was hot. I never noticed it till then. Now that I know I keep checking every few minutes. I use the PC alot like I said gamed on it since I built it four years ago.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

The lifecycle of a power supply differs from each type of power supply. A cheap low quality one could cause problems and could die after a period. But a more expensive hi-quality one should work fine, and they won't die that fast.