How can I make my drivers quieter

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Ashton, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

My hard drive makes that common noise that you hear when it is being used. I mean like the whirring/ticking sound that happens when you are acessing it.

Also my optical drive is causing viabrations and makes fair bit of noise, what can I do stop this?

2. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

encase it with an array of sponges lol sorry that wasn't very helpful.

Exactly what make optical drive do you have?

because i have found in the past that some brands are better when it comes to noise levels such as LG, or ASUS.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you could either replace the HDD with a modern quieter HDD, because, newer HDDs are v v quiet

Edit:
    he's referring to his HDD

4. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Oh sorry my bad wasn't thinking :doh:

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

np, that's why multiple people can reply

6. Addis

Addis The King

To stop vibrations, you might try looking for some padding designed especially for nice reducing in PCs. Never used it myself, but it could be useful.

7. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

Asus drives a very quiet, however my optical drive is LG, which I deeply regret buying because of its noise, but It's bearable.

My hard drive is also a brand new samsung 500GB

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I know there's some anti-vibration kits out there. I can't think of any at the moment, but they do exist, and sounds like what you'd want.

9. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

10. rimmer

rimmer Geek

I have an ASUS drive and it was £25 (or about 55 US Dollars) and I have never been more satisfied with any other DVD Writer I have had. Quieter than the ones in the past and matches (if not beats) read and write speeds.

Anyway I have a Relatively new, (1 year and a half now) SeaGate Baracudda 7200.11 320GB Drive, and you can still hear it access, unlike the drive I had before that, which was a maxtor 160GB, it was completely silent, however unfortunately died after 13 months of use :(

Anyway, responding to your original question, I think you can get a 5.25" Bay Hard drive cooler, which uses heatpipes to cool it down, and to fit the hard drive itself it fits into like a sponge, and when you screw it in, you use these anti-vibration pads to put over the screws.

Hope this helps

11. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

Yeah I used to have an asus drive, it was heavenly quiet, before it was destoryed in a psu surge :( .