How do I get the cool "Waffle" background?

Discussion in 'Graphics Design' started by Exfoliate, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

This is sort of a question for Waffle or anyone who knows but maybe someone else wants to know?
    Basically how do I get that cool cross hatch thing on my sigs like Waffle did with "Freeze" and "Can you shoot me Rookie"?
    I don't know how to describe it but there are these little square cells (that don't look unlike those in actual waffles) and the opacity is low and I like it.
    I thought you layered another canvas over the image or something but I don't think you can do that. Who knows (or understands what I mean)? Thanks.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ah jeeze, I just thought I'd give it another go and there it was "tiles". Assuming that's what you used of course. Totally disregard the exceeding dumb statement about layering another canvas over the image, pretend I never said that okay.
    Is this right? (don't worry, this will never be a sig obviously, just experimenting)
    [​IMG]

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You may have to play around with the tiles filter some to get it to your liking, but that's kinda the fun.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

open a 5x5 pixel document with a transparent background.

then take the pencil tool and draw down the side along the top, like a really basic r shape.

|-----
    |
    |

sort of.

then go Edit>>Define Pattern and save it as Grid.

Open the sig, do a new layer and go Edit>>Fill>>Pattern and select the grid. Hit ok.

So long as the background was transparent, you'll get the grid effect, otherwise it will be a white and black grid that you can't change.

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay, I got the 5x5 doc with the transparent background.
    Here's what I think you meant for the r-shape: [​IMG] (enlarged so you can see it)
    But I don't see where to save it as a grid.
    I opened another sig anyway, did a new layer, and selected my "r" but as I expected nothing happened. I guess I just don't know where to save it as a grid. When I define it as a patten there's no icon that says "save as grid" or anything, nor do I see it under the save/save as options. I must be missing something here.
    Thanks though dude, I would have never thought of this obviously.

6. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Here ya go dude, step by step guide. Forgot to mention, the pencil should be 1px and black, and then you should be ok. Just remember to do the grid layer on a separate layer, otherwise you can't edit its transparency etc.

[​IMG]

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I think you might need to "select all" before you can define a pattern?

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Ah, now it works. Thanks!

9. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yay, here we go:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks Waffles!

10. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

looking good :good: