How do I paint my '900 black, It will look awesome

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Ashton, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

Do I spray the paint directly on my case, or do I sand it or something first?

Heres what it looks like before
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And after :D
    [​IMG]
    *A quick photoshop job lol, to bad I can't photoshop reality :(
    It should look like that though

I just need to know how to do it, and what layers ect should I do
    [​IMG]

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

First remove all electronic components, and cover any connectors. Then I would suggest to use an airbrush.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, definitely remove all the parts.

If it's plastic, you'll want a dye like Krylon Fusion.
    If it's metal, you'll want to sand the current paint off, use a layer of primer, sand to smooth, spray a layer, sand (repeat the paint/sand until smooth), and then use a clear coat.

Would I be correct in thinking you want to paint the base chassis? If so, you'll really need to tear the system and case apart if you want to do it correctly.

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

for the sanding part, start out with something gritty, but not to abrasive, like a 60 or 80 grit sand paper. Then after you've removed most of the paint, you have two options, you can use a primer that will mask deep scratches and it will get a good bite in from the grittier sand paper, granted, this method while assuring the best hold for the primer, might not turn out the smoothest, but that depends on how many coats of primer and paint you use. Alternatively, after you go over it with the 60 grit, go over the case again with some much finer grit paper, 120 or so. Then just as Big B described, and put down like two or three coats of primer, but make sure to sand the primer with the finer grit paper, then on to paint, probably three coats, then if you want it to last a little longer, get some clear coat, and you'll need like at least four coats to spread the clear evenly. On a final note, to make the job look nice, it might be a good idea to practice on something first, rattle cans are kinda funny to use, but if you practice the proper technique you can achieve really good looking results, but as a ground rule, just remember, light coats. Oh yeah, make sure to tape off anything you don't want to get overspray on.

5. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

I want to paint all the unpainted metal visible, the hard drive cages, the pci slots, the back of the case, I can't be fucked about the bottom

Do I need to remove all the case fans?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You want to paint the PCI slots on your motherboard?

If you're going to paint the chassis itself, remove everything: drives, cards, motherboard, PSU, fans, etc. Everything that's currently in contact or obstructs the metal you wish to paint, get it out of the Nine Hundred.

7. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You will have to pretty much remove everything in the case, i just painted my case inside and out in black.. Mine came like yours all the inside was ugly.
    just make sure you scuff everything real good with a scuff pad for it to stick
    right...

8. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

I'm not much of a painter/DIY person lol

Can you please explain scuffing, primer, clear coat

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok , After you have removed everything from inside the case, You will need a scuff pad, You should be able to get one from your local store or local car body shop.. Scotch brite pad, the one your mom uses to scrub her pans.. There are green scuff pad. Now make sure scuff everything real good, OR the paint won't stick. After you are done scuffing everything, Make sure you blow everything out, Or you can use some cleaneez..Next mask everything that needs to masked off. Next is the paint, If you want a high gloss then use
    RustOlium... There are allot of others that would work as well. When spraying with can spray paint try to stay at least 8 to 12 inches away from the case.
    good luck.

10. Ashton

Ashton Geek Trainee

thanks mate

11. teraformer

teraformer Geek Trainee

Remove all components and send it away to be powder coated :D The finish is really glossy and it won"t scrach easy! :D

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

That would real nice IF you have a spare couple of hundred bucks lying around..

13. Rawl13

Rawl13 Geek Trainee

it just so happens i did the exact same thing to my antec 900

after removing all the components take any plastic peices off of the case
    even the top one with the fan( it looks like a pita but 2 screws inside the case then slide and pull

when i did mine i painted the inside of the doors aswell and the HDD cages but the paint scratch where these parts contacted others

id post pics but i sold it less than a week ago to a friend