How do i Speed up the boot proccess

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Black Bart, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Black Bart

Black Bart Geek Trainee

I have a custom built system. I'm running windows 2k Pro and it seems to boot up slower than other PC's that my dude's have and theirs are slower than mine. The specs are Antec Modded case, Elitegroup Mobo w/ AMD Athalon XP 1600, 256 Mb of Crucial Memory, and a GeForce 2 TI 64 Mb Graphics Card. I also have a 6 Gb and a 10 Gb Hd. They are only 5400 rpm and i think that is what is slowing it down, but i also think it is the OS. I just want some tips and input on what I could do to speed it up without formatting my drive.

2. PostCode

PostCode Geek Trainee

A few things you could check are the startup menu and the services that are starting up with the system. Access the Control Panel and check the Services through the Computer Management Icon. You can manually start and stop services here. Also, check the Registry if your comfortable with it and review the start up apps here as well.

HKEY_LOCAL_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

Hope this helps.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'll have to look for the exact link, but Microsoft has this file called 'Boot-Vis'. It can analyze and optimize your system start up under 2k/XP.

4. k2bladesk8er

k2bladesk8er Geek Trainee

whats up bro

Black bart whats my brother. U never asked anyone about this before u should bring it in and well fix it. Ive got a couple of things i could screw with it to try and speed it up. See ya tomorrow bro

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

Big B I believe this is probably the link your think of: MS Fast Boot page.

I don't recall ever seeing anything in the MSDN library about fast boot for 2K although I haven't has any of the Library cd's installed since the June 2001 edition. Considering XP is only an enhanced 2K core you might want to try to Bootvis util under 2K although I personally haven't seen any documentation on whether it works on anything other than XP though.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Gracias, syngod.

7. Black Bart

Black Bart Geek Trainee

what the hell!

I started this thread so that I could get some input on my problem, but others seem to use my thread as a chat room.

8. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Yeah right, except the posts are actually trying to tell you where to look to speed up your boot process, as you originally asked.

9. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

MS Fast Boot is the page you need to look at, to speed up the boot time...