How much expensive RAM is enough for...

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by kgs, Jan 1, 2004.

1. kgs

kgs Geek Trainee

I'm just about to lay out my $ for a mobo/RAM/cpu trio.
    p4c800-e dlx/512Dual Channel Kit OCZ EL4200 (2x256)/P4 2.6C.

The optional is RAM quantity. For this specific RAM model this is about as much quantity as I can afford without dropping the quality of everything.

I have done some learning/comparison shopping and decided I could (want to) afford this much, which allows me the highest quality. I may allow some critical input, not into searching for the best, but what to do about achieving results to this end for the "right" money.

I don't know how much is much. Here's why I'm upgrading:\

Surfing the USENETS multiple full-album mp3 mega depots, and selecting a few from a few to be dl'd later.

I already know my model selection is tops, and I really don't do too much of any one thing. Like too many games. I know it must be good though. Its top dollar and extravagant.

Is it enough ram? Will it cover the last detail of this requirement, without over-weighting the quality over quantity issue. B/c I really wouldn't like to shed $300CDN more for 2x512MB of this RAM. Will I be fully covered? For instance, that would cover the very oc'able 3.2C processor w/ 512MB of the best...

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

512mb of RAM is enough imo.

You could benefit by having 1gb but not in every situation. I've never had 1gb of memory but from what I've read, it doesn't make much difference in games.

However, you could always get a 2.4C instead of a 2.6C and get more RAM if you which to. Of course, it wouldn't make for the price difference but you would bring down the cost a little, while keeping the performance. With that cpu, you could oc the bus to 217 (which is not much, and should be easily doable with the hardware you're getting. Also considering that the pentium coolers are considered to be quite good by many). and get 2.6 ghz. That would even be faster than a stock 2.6C

12*217 = 2604 mhz

If you do not wish to oc, I do not think the difference between 2.6 and 2.4 is that big.

what I can suggest you, is instead of getting 2x512mb of the OCZ dual kit stuff (which costs $377 on ncix), you could get the Kingston HyperX, which is high-end memory, for $300. That's a 1024mb dual kit also.

I know I love my Kingston Value Ram, so the HyperX should be very good too. Even better.

But Like I said earlier, 512mb is enough.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Right now 512MB is the sweet spot and going less than that on your main system is something I wouldn't do. For most people, anything much above that is generally a waste. In a couple of years, I can see 1GB becoming more of the norm, but not right now, so don't waste your money.