HP DLT 7000 35/70 tape drive ?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by captfb, Jan 25, 2006.

1. captfb

captfb Geek Trainee

Good morning,

I recently obtained an HP DLT 7000 35/70 tape drive to back up my collection of MP3's. Using backup exec 10 I was getting write speeds of 150-200. After a few hardware errors one one tape ( the last out of 7) I decided to upgrade the firmware. Using HP's L&TT software I was able to upgrade the firmware and reboot the tape drive. But after firmware upgrade I am getting write speeds of 20-50. Now I am thinking it could be the media!

Any ideas?

specs

200GB of MP'3 on a 300GB USB 2.0 drive
    to
    DLT 7000 35/70 DLT drive
    using veritas backup exec 10
    on a
    celeron 2.3 GHz PC 1GB of RAM
    80GB HD
    windows XP sp2

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

From what I'm seeing, it sounds more like that one tape was bad and flashing the firmware wasn't the fix for it. I'd flash it back and then see if you can try some new tapes.

The media could be a problem, but then that doesn't jive if the other 6 weren't giving you trouble. However, if those were also being a problem, then, yeah, I can see the media being the problem.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

lol............200GB of mp3... which is nearly equal to 40,000 songs or more......... U must be a big pirater or u own somekind of website or DJ

Tell me if i m wrong~!

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

If you don't mind, i'd like to hi-jack this thread :dsmile2:

What kind of speeds do you get from tape drives? How long would it take to copy 10 mp3 files for example? What are read speeds like as well?

How much data can a standard 90 Minute cassette take?