I laughed when I read this

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Crusha19, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

2. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Yeah I've read that before. My Uncle reckons there's no way it can be real.

3. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

ya the person that wrote it has no clue what they are talking about

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

that just stupid, theres no way it can be real, cos it claims "Soviet computer hacker named Linyos Torovoltos,

when in reality his name is Linus Torvalds, and he was born in finland and went to university in helsinki which when i last checked was in poland,

loada crap

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh...hasn't it been posted on here before?

6. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

This one looks interesting to me.. lol :D

7. Parachutes

Parachutes Geek Trainee

Hahaha, wow, that website had me severly entertained for a long time. Some of the other 'articles' on that site are pretty hilarious too. It's too scary to even consider that this might not be a joke.

8. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

It's moronic. It scares me that these people think they've done their research and they've clearly misread / mis understood everything.

It makes me sad to think that there are actually people this ignorant out there.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm pretty sure it's a joke, and it's been around for years. Of course, there are people that are that ignorant...but we can just have a laugh at their expense and use facts to back ourselves up. (Oh, no! Not the facts!)

10. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Haha, donkey ... Helsinki is the capital of Finland :D

but anyway, I agree with u that it must definitely be a joke. Just the way the writer describes his own family and parenting practices ... hahaha he attends their teens' parties?? And apparently he doesn't allow his 17 year old daughters to go on dates with *gasp* makeup and perfume? (mentioned in #4) Is that a realistic father in modern times?? But more importantly, the way Linux is inverted to Lunix and what donkey said above -- the distortion of the guy's name -- definitely offer strong evidence that it was done on purpose. "Linyos Torovoltos" sounds almost like a fairy tale name, or in other words made up. It sounds like exactly what I'd think a person might come up with when purposely trying to garble the name into something stupid-sounding. Come on, even a complete idiot could get the word "Linux" right without garbling it -- it's only 5 letters! So the author was doing that on purpose to look more stupid. As a final note to beat the dead horse into the ground, remember that Shelley The Republican website we laughed about in another thread? More specifically, the article on linux she wrote? Look here: Shelley The Republican » Linux (she now has several blogs put into an entire category on that subject). This Shelley person is actually for reals, no joke. Yet, even she got both "Linux" and "Linus Torvalds" right lol.

11. Parachutes

Parachutes Geek Trainee

Hehe, oh Republicans. Yeah, radical right wingers really blow my mind. Where the line is drawn between that blog and the How to Tell if Your Son is a Hacker article on Adequacy is really not all that clear. Sure, this Shelley The Republican can get names and places right, but other than that, her claims are just as ridiculous at the last article. (If there are any Republicans here, I don't mean to offend. It's the extremists that worry me. ;) )

My friends and I were thinking of staging a protest in front of the Atlantic Technology Centre, in Charlottetown, PE, where I live. We were going to print out copies of that Adequacy article and have someone film the event. It would be funny to see how many people actually believed in this stuff. I think it would make for an interesting show. :p

12. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Does this mean you're a hacker? :confused:

13. donkey42

donkey42 plank

:eek:fftopic:
    [ot]well that Shelly sure gets some ...Erm...Erm...Erm... COLORFUL emails doesn't she, LOL[/ot]