I need a DVD ripper!

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by megamaced, Apr 8, 2006.

1. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

But did you get the program to actually rip stuff or just run in WINE?

2. Fred

Fred Moderator

I found a resource for acidrip that includes a walkthrough on how to install it, the dependencies, and a link to the download. I didn't try installing it from the website because urpmi installs it just fine... but I'm hoping it will help you out. And here it is. Good luck!

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

No, I have no passion or feelings on the matter whatsoever, to be totally honest with you. :) But what I do think is that you want Suse to act like Mandriva, whether you realize it or not. My question is and has been simply, "if you want Suse to act like Mandriva, why not just use Mandriva?" I have no personal desire to see you use any particular distro for my own agenda, you're the one who will be using it, and I've already chosen my OSes. :)

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

He said, while carefully slipping in...

...some more propaganda :p

Thanks Fred

Unfortunately the HOWTO link on that page is down!

5. megamaced

That would be too easy :x: No it didn't work!

I've read about other Window's based DVD rippers working in WINE though. Theres still hope!

6. megamaced

I think i've found the answer :jump2:

I've managed to install a program called DVD Rip-O-Matic, which is a native Linux program. So far it's working - fingers crossed I will have an AVI file at the end of it

I've also got Dr DivX to work in WINE :)

I've attached screenshots of Dr DivX and RIP-O-Matic

Attached Files:

7. megamaced

It works, it works! :)

Just as well because I was getting nowhere with DVD::RIP and AcidRIP. Most of the dependencies centred around PERL. I've checked and checked again - Perl is installed already!

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Good job, glad you got it going.

[ot]By the way, if you find some good, stable & well-tested repos for Suse, definately start a thread about it and I'll sticky it... hmm, not a bad idea. I may just start a distribution repository thread.[/ot]

9. megamaced

[ot]
    That would be really useful :good:

I am only using the repositories listed in that link you gave me. If I find any more, i'll post them on the forums [/ot]

10. megamaced

Interestingly, there was a fix for the PERL problems i was experiencing in SuSE, on the SuSE online update program!

In a twist of fate, i've actually managed to get DVD::RIP installed and working :) I am currently ripping a DVD as I type this so i'll have to wait and see if it's as good as DVD RipOMatic. The only problem with RipOMatic is it's just a little slow to rip.

As for AcidRIP, I can't find a suitable RPM for SUSE. I wanted to compile the program but their homepage is down. I can't seem to access it. Anyhow, I got hold of the source code from Sourceforge but there are no instructions! I've got as far as typing perl Makefile.PL but I don't know what to do from there!

Any ideas?

11. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

12. megamaced

I might check it out, cheers!

As I said though, there is nothing wrong with RipOMatic apart from it's slighty slow speed. It's very polished and easy to use, if a little lacking in options/functionality.

I've come to the conclusion that DVD::RIP is crap. Sure it's pretty powerful and the ripping process is fast. But the encoding is very slow and overall it didn't justify a place in my K menu!

When Anti-Trend awakes from his sleep (where are you AT? :p ) i'm sure he can tell me how to compile AcidRIP

13. alice71bill72

alice71bill72 Geek Trainee

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

personally i've never used it for ripping, but have you tried k3b ?

also try seaching for something like [google]dvd ripping wiki[/google]

BTW: as for suse repos try adding repos from OpenSuse, just type [google]suse repo[/google]