IE faster than Firefox?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by daisycutter, Jul 7, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hi guys.

i recently switched from internet explorer to morzilla firefox and im sure its running slower than IE. am i doing something wrong or missed a step or is firefox slower than ie? ( im talking about page load times mainly) thanx

2. zeus

zeus out of date

It certainly opens slower. Even slower again on Linux.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

IE has a very fast startup time because most of the guts of IE are loaded as part of Windows, whether you like it or not. Firefox is totally self-contained, so it understandably takes longer to start up, but should perform better on page load times. Opera is faster than either, but takes the longest to start up.
    It loads very fast in Linux for me, but I'm using the Reiser filesystem on some somewhat decent hardware. It takes about 4x longer to start Firefox on my workstation at work than it does here on my Mandriva Linux box.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try some plug-ins (e.g. fasterfox)

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i was looking for an IE timer, but couldn't find one, but this may be helpful

EDIT: just found this

6. Addis

Addis The King

IE doesn't load pages faster than Firefox, not with me anyway. On pages that haven't been cached.

Opera is faster than both of them, IE has the advantage of several components of it already being loaded into memory. (Windows Explorer).

7. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

thanx for responses, im not worried now as long as i know now why it appears IE is faster. and i tried that fasterfox plug in and speed does eem to have increased, so all is well on the internet browser front! cheers mateys!

8. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive just reinstalled windows and have given the latest IE, Firefox and Opera a try.

I take back how firefox is slow staringup. It matches IE on a fresh install easily. But I personally think it loads pages quicker than Opera and IE. Ive gone with Opera in the end because it has bittorrent built in and the downloadable bittorrents always made this comp crash. Ive had shit loads of popups though! After all the talk about how crap IE was I certainly had less grief with it.

Ill see how it goes. Firefox is still slow on Linx though (another popup!) IMO

9. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Opera does a much better job of blocking pop-ups then Firefox

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

[ot]
    Is there any plugin available for Opera like "Script" in the Firefox? Because thats the only thing holding me from switching to Opera.[/ot]

11. megamaced

[ot]
    I am not familiar with the script plugin for Firefox. Although I am sure you will find something for Opera. Download Opera and click on the Widgets menu.[/ot]

12. Karanislove

[ot]
    Ahh! I've got the answer.....
    NoScript for Opera

No-Script is a hugely popular extension for Firefox, and is oft requested at the myOpera forums. However, Opera doesn’t have any such add-on as it doesn’t need it. Most of the features of NoScript extension is built into Opera.
    - Disable Annoying Js Functionalities : Tools->Preferences–>Content—>JavaScript Options. Uncheck “Allow resizing/moving/raising/lowering of windows”. You can also uncheck “Allow scripts to receive Right Clicks if you want”. This will get rid of some of the annoying Js functionalities.
    - Disable Js on a certain website : Right click on a blank spot in that website, click on Edit Site Preferences from the context menu. Under scripting settings uncheck JavaScript option.
    - Enable Js only in certain site - I wont recommend this. But if you are a security paranoid then well, best of luck. Surfing the web can become really frustrating with this setting. Go to Tools->Preferences–>Content. Uncheck the Enable JavaScript option. Now on any site you want to enable JavaScript option you will have to use Site Preference to enable it for that site.

[link=http://www.pallab.net/2006/04/12/extending-opera-the-ultimate-guide-to-customizing-opera/]Source[/link]

[/ot]

13. megamaced

[ot]
    So you'll be using Opera from now on then? :)

I think Firefox may get the upper hand on Opera when version 2.0 comes out. Firefox will have an anti-phishing tool and spellchecker built in. That's something Opera doesn't offer[/ot]

14. Karanislove

[ot]
    hmm! I think I should have all the three browsers on my computer. So, if anyone comes out with a good facility, I just update it and use it. At the moment I have two FF and IE. Installing one more will be worth. Now what do you recon?
    [/ot]

15. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]Right now, the Opera 9 installation on my XP workstation at work uses 100% CPU resources from the moment I start it to the moment I stop it. Firefox 1.5.0.4 and I.E. 7 beta 3 don't behave as such. I wonder why?[/ot]

16. jester45

jester45 Big Geek wanna be

try utorret for torret light fast and stable