is it my psu?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by garbanzo, Aug 11, 2009.

1. garbanzo

garbanzo Geek Trainee

a few days ago, i started having problems booting. pressing the power button turns on psu, cpu, and gpu fans, plus my hdd and optical. but the computer does not post.

i've taken the entire machine apart, cleaned it, and re-assembled. i've tried booting on different ram in different slots. i've tried a bare minimum boot with just 1 stick ram, monitor connected to integrated graphics, and a keyboard - still no post.

here's the weird bit - if i power on, then hit reset enough times, it will eventually boot. and once it boots, everything runs fine - i can play intensive games and watch hd movies... it will run all day.

here are the machine's specs:

micro-star ms-7529 mobo
    core 2 duo e7200, 2.53 ghz
    2x ddr2 pc5300 1gb, 667 mhz
    geforce 9500gt, 512mb
    mercury MKP-4400, 400 Watts
    one SATA hard drive
    one SATA optical drive

it's a noname prebuilt, i've had it about 9 months.

i don't have access to another psu to test. so i'm down to going out and buying one. is there anything else i can do before i drop $75 that i might not have to spend?

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Sounds to me like a bios issue. Update your bios to the latest version. post back with results.

3. garbanzo

garbanzo Geek Trainee

sounds like a great idea, but how do i manage that without being able to boot?

4. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

like you said in your previous post keeping hittin reset button until it posts, go into bios and set it to boot from cd. download the flash ultility and the bios and create a bootable cd. keep hittin the reset button again to get it to post and it will boot from cd into DOS. and then type in dos the flash utility and bios and it will restart and update.
    btw: post make and model of your board and i will check to see if it can be flashed from within windows.

5. garbanzo

garbanzo Geek Trainee

sorry i should have mentioned - for the last few days, it has not been booting at all. i can hit reset 50 times and nothing works.

i even replaced the psu, but no luck.

i think at this point i'll just take it in...

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

It will be the motherboard, bios chip. no pont trying to replace anythin else but the bios chip or the motherboard. But if you can keep trying to get it to post and flash the bios, it might fix it.